Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Catastrophic Shifter Failure Causes Crash

mfabius
mfabius Member Posts: 3
Has anyone experienced shifter failure on their Hurricane outboard?  I would be very interested.   My brand new Hurricane 2400, second time out, had a shifter failure inside the Yamaha F250, so that when I put motor into reverse coming into the dock it actually surged forward instead and did extensive damage to its hull.  Very lucky no major damage to other boats or facilities.  Dealer's service technican arrived shortly thereafter and confirmed the equipment failure right away.   Hurricane is investigating.  Consequences could have been so much more serious.   Extremely traumatic - I would not want this to happen to anyone.

Comments

• Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    mfabius wrote:

Has anyone experienced shifter failure on their Hurricane outboard?  I would be very interested.   My brand new Hurricane 2400, second time out, had a shifter failure inside the Yamaha F250, so that when I put motor into reverse coming into the dock it actually surged forward instead and did extensive damage to its hull.  Very lucky no major damage to other boats or facilities.  Dealer's service technican arrived shortly thereafter and confirmed the equipment failure right away.   Hurricane is investigating.  Consequences could have been so much more serious.   Extremely traumatic - I would not want this to happen to anyone.

Never heard of anything like that.....scary!  Do the new F250s have throttle by wire?  If so, I'd suspect some type of electrical problem.  

Its got to make you sick to see damage to a brand new boat.  Hopefully, either Hurricane or Yamaha will cover the repairs.  Keep us posted as to what they determine.
    2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner
  • mfabius
    mfabius Member Posts: 3
    Follow-up: cause was linkage at shifter inside engine cover, where the fastener apparently had not been threaded into the connecter the specified length during rigging at the factory and so it pulled out stripping the threads, leaving the engine in forward regardless of shifter/throttle setting.  Major hull damage.  Hurricane provided replacement boat after 2 or 3 weeks of negotiations.  Back on the water!![image]http://www.hurricaneownersclub.com/forum/app_themes/Classic/image/mIcons/m16.gif[/image]