Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Prop for Fundeck 226

Options
Broadway
Broadway Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
I have another post on the forum showing my prop and skeg damage, but that post is directed more to the skeg questions.  i wanted to add this post looking for prop recommendations.  I have been to the yamaha prop selector site but don't really understand what I'm reading (can we say novice?).   The boat is the fundeck 226 and the engine is the Yamaha F150.  I really liked the stock prop that came with it.  I could go 10-15 MPH with very little rise on the bow, and get about 48 MPH on a calm lake by myself.  The boat is used to "tootle" around the lake, bay, or river and to throw some tubes on the rear and have some serious fun.  It is used in salt and non salt water.  I wouldn't want to loose any performance that I currently have, and be able to offer some additional if possible.  I might put smart tabs on in the future and would want a prop that would maintain current speeds.  Anyone have a prop recommendation for a 226 I can investigate?

Thanks,

Chris

2013 FD 226

Yamaha 150 Four Stroke

Venture Trailer

2nd RGR BN.

Comments

• Broadway
    Broadway Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    Options
    Just walked out to the boat and noted the current prop as the 'Yamaha reliance series' 17M-14 1/4 

Thanks,

Chris

2013 FD 226

Yamaha 150 Four Stroke

Venture Trailer

2nd RGR BN.

• Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I looked at your prop/skeg damage photo, and it looks like your current prop is easily repairable.  When I did the same thing with mine, I had the original prop repaired to use as a backup, and bought a 4 blade prop to give me better hole shot.  I think the local shop charged me around $100 to do the repair, and mine looked worse than yours.  That prop is pretty well optimized for your set up.  Any changes will probably decrease your top end speed.  Most guys change props to increase hole shot or decrease planning speed.  From the numbers you posted going to a 4 or 5 blade prop would definitely reduce your top speed while giving you better hole shot and slightly reduced planing speed.

I also have a f150 on my SD 217.  My boat weighs more than yours by around 500 lbs, but I'm pretty sure the hulls are nearly identical.  I went from the 17p Yamaha reliance SS 3 blade prop that came on the motor to a 15p  PowerTech Ski Max MQS4 prop.  I lost 3 or 4 mph off my top speed with this prop, but hole shot was significantly improved...........which is good for pulling skiers and wake-boarders which is what I was after.  I really liked the PowerTech prop, and the people there were very helpful in helping me select a prop.  You might want to contact them and they can make some suggestions.  They are expensive though.
    2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner