Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Damaged Prop and Skeg

Options
Broadway
Broadway Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
I was boating about 15 mph in the Potomac river in Washington DC and a HUGE slab of rock hit my skeg and prop.  I thought the whole engine was going to be ripped off the transom.  I know I need to get a new prop (Hurricane 226, any suggestions I'll take) but want to get honest feedback on the skeg damage.  Looking at the photo attached, what do you all think?

Thanks,

Chris

2013 FD 226

Yamaha 150 Four Stroke

Venture Trailer

2nd RGR BN.

Comments

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Skeg can be repaired.  It looks banged up on the front and hard to tell from the angle, but might have a bend to the right.  Find a prop/boat shop that repairs props and either they can or know someone who can repair the skeg.

The other thing to check is the prop seal on the lower unit.  If it was damaged, you'll want to get that repaired/inspected to ensure no water penetration in the lower unit.   

Nasty looking damage but looks like the prop took the bulk of the hit.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • FlyingV5
    FlyingV5 Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Prop needs to go to shop. Hard to see the skeg but it looks like the leading edge is damaged. Try to straighten the bent part some with a soft hammer, back it up with a heavy dolly. Don't try to bend it too much or it will break off, then grind off any non-symmetrical places and smooth the edge. Good luck.
  • Broadway
    Broadway Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    Options
    In Overtons catalog I just saw a "skeg guard".  it looks like something you can slide over the skeg to prevent and 'repair' damage.  Ever saw these used?  

Thanks,

Chris

2013 FD 226

Yamaha 150 Four Stroke

Venture Trailer

2nd RGR BN.

• Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Did the same thing to my prop/skeg.  Your prop looks very repairable.  A good prop shop should be able to fix that for much less than a new prop.  For my skeg, I put on a stainless steel Skeg Guard.  It was very easy to do, and less expensive than having the skeg welded (not easy since it is aluminum).  I had a lot more damage than you do.  If you do have it repaired take it to a reputable shop.  It is easy to melt internal components doing the weld if the repairman does not know what he is doing.
    2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner