Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

2003 Hurrican 211center console

RuddsRetreat
RuddsRetreat Member Posts: 55 ✭✭

I just bought a 2003 Hurricane 211 and was wondering if this comes with an automatic bilge pump?  I have the switch on console but reading other forums states that switch over rides and turns it to manual.  I'm asking this so I know that I wont need to use switch.

Thanks,

Comments

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    @RuddsRetreat.  Most boats have a 3 wire bilge pump or a bilge pump with an automatic float switch.  I suspect being a 2003 model it will also have one.

However, when it comes to boats, I never leave things to chance.

When you turn the switch on manually, does the pump run?  Even if its not pumping water out you should hear it running.

Next, test it.  Fill the bilge area with several buckets of water.  You'll need to add enough to cover the bottom of the bilge pump (usually less than an inch of water or so).  Keep adding water until you hear the pump kick in and pump out the water.

If you get more than a few inches in there and don't have a running pump, that tells me one of 3 things:

- your bilge pump doesn't have a float switch
    - your float switch is there but defective
    - your direct power source to the pump isn't working.(faulty wire and/or fuse)

Back to the 3 wire pump comment above.  What I mean by that is it has a common ground, a switched power (runs to the switch on the helm) and a 3rd wire which connects direct to the battery to turn power on/off via the float switch.

Let us know how it turns out.  And also, as good practice, the first time I put my boat in the water for the season I use the water test to validate my float switch and auto bilge pump works.  Always better to find out BEFORE you need it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    @RuddsRetreat.  This is a duplicate post as below so I'm closing this thread and updates can be made or comments added to the thread below.

http://hurricaneboats.vanillaforums.com/discussion/1411/does-all-hurricanes-have-an-automatic-bilge-pump#latest
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
This discussion has been closed.