Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Unknown device

Dave
Dave Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
 Just opened up our SD217 from winter storage and remembered the bilge pump was not working very well last fall so I decided to replace it. Lower part of the pump housing was distorted from what looks like heat and the housing of the float switch next to it was heat distorted as well. I assume it must of been run dry for some time. Anyway I have a new Johnson pump on order but while I was in the bilge area below the engine I found a cylindrical black plastic item laying in the bilge. The device is black plastic, about 1" dia. 1" long, one end is filled with a potting mat'l and the other end is coated with an epoxy and appears to have been attached to something at one time. It also has a single fairly heavy wire going into the harness on the starboard side. I have no idea what this device is for or where it was attached. I have an Eagle Fish Finder but that transducer is attached to the outside lower transom. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks Dave

Comments

• Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    Dave wrote:

Just opened up our SD217 from winter storage and remembered the bilge pump was not working very well last fall so I decided to replace it. Lower part of the pump housing was distorted from what looks like heat and the housing of the float switch next to it was heat distorted as well. I assume it must of been run dry for some time. Anyway I have a new Johnson pump on order but while I was in the bilge area below the engine I found a cylindrical black plastic item laying in the bilge. The device is black plastic, about 1" dia. 1" long, one end is filled with a potting mat'l and the other end is coated with an epoxy and appears to have been attached to something at one time. It also has a single fairly heavy wire going into the harness on the starboard side. I have no idea what this device is for or where it was attached. I have an Eagle Fish Finder but that transducer is attached to the outside lower transom. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks Dave

I've got no idea on what you found......maybe if you could post a photo.

I did have a question.  How did you get into the bilge to change out the pump?  Access looks pretty limited.
    2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner
  • Dave
    Dave Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
      I have the I/O and the pump is in the engine bay under the engine. Not to hard to reach with the engine cover off. I purchased a new float switch along with the pump but the new switch has 3 wires ( the old has 2) so now I am concerned where the 3rd wire goes. I thought it would be easy to swap out the old with the new but I guess I will have do some investigation. I don't want to burn out the new pump. Dave