Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Location of Fish finder/Gps

fgood55
fgood55 Member Posts: 0

Where can I attach my fish finder on deck boat. I donot want to remove the windshield.

Comments

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    @fgood55... On the helm, right in front of the windshield on some models there is a flat spot.  I've installed two different fishfinder/GPS on that area and they're still visible from the helm. 

Try it temporarily with someone holding it before drilling and permanently mounting it and see if that works.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭

I just took some pics of my dash.  Here's how I mounted mine.  I used a RAM mount to hold and position the bracket.  I was able to fit and position a Lowrance HDS-7 into that area with very little vision impairment.

2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• rdcastle
    rdcastle Member Posts: 100 ✭✭✭
    fgood55 said:

Where can I attach my fish finder on deck boat. I donot want to remove the windshield.

I have my Garmin GPSMap 441s also mounted on a RAM ball mount in the same approximate position as the pic provided by cjjjdeck. I am also going to use a RAM antenna mount to attach a base-loaded 36" VHF antenna to my bimini frame as we don not travel offshore or even in wide open waters very often. I can route the antenna along the frame or even inside it if I get crazy one day!!

Rob Castle
    2001 Hurricane GS201 FD
    Yamaha 150 V6 2 Stroke, Oil Injection
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭

Excellent antenna mounting!  After a bunch of research, I added a 48" plastic extension to my antenna (Shakespeare makes the extension, I got a GAM antenna).  I wanted to push my transmit/receive on my handheld VHF as much as possible.

2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• BobSIRBFL
    BobSIRBFL Member Posts: 4

I mounted a Garmin 541S on my FD196 helm console just forward, and port of the windshield.  It seas pretty easy to do, and is easy to see because the GPS has adjustments in the mounting bracket.  The only downside is that there is a cup holder that is partially blocked, so I can only use it for keys, cell phone, or something less than a beverage.  Once mounted it's easy to run wiring to an accessory switch on the console.  Just be CAREFULL when drilling through fiberglass that you don't hit the surrounding upholstery with the drill chuck because it's tight quarters with the angle you need to take with the drill.  Also, I have a transducer, which I mounted in the stern, and was able to run the transducer wire up the outside of the stern, through the transom drain, and then through the boot for the motor, and then forward to the console.  Works fine.  Took only a couple hours, or so.

• MartinLopez1
    MartinLopez1 Member Posts: 1
    you can mount it with some magnetic mount. They are available on amazon. Conversely you can check other fish finders which are relatively easier to install. This guide might help you in deciding. What about the transduced you will be having tough time mounting that as wlel I reckon?
  • piney
    piney Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
    No comment on the where part-- but RAM mounts are a good choice for most anything.  I mounted a small ball and mount to hold my cell,and  another set to hold a camera.  The camera mount allows me to face it forward to to the stern.

I use a set on the jet skis and in my truck as well.

Interesting about the VHF antenna mounting.