Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

drain plug stuck

HydroCanis
HydroCanis Member Posts: 176 ✭✭

My brass stern hull drain plug is stuck. I couldn't get it loose, and while at a shop for another reason they wanted to pull it because of all the rain but after trying fairly hard, they quit, afraid they'd cause hull damage. Neither do I want to chance damaging the hull with excessive force, at least before the season's over. I suspect the former owner never took it out because he never left the boat outside when not in use. It has never seen much saltwater. After 11 years, is there something appropriate to loosen brass threads? I hesitate to use Liquid Wrench, as I've never used it on anything but steel and don't know its effect on brass (or the surrounding fiberglass, for that matter.

David
2003 Sundeck 217 OB, Yamaha 150 2 Stroke
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own." - Number 6

Comments

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭

I actually have gone from good old Liquid Wrench to PB Blaster.  It's safe to use on all metals but keep it from getting on the fiberglass as best you can.

2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• HydroCanis

Thanks, I'll look for that.

David
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own." - Number 6

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭

By the way, HydroCanis, love your "signature" (BIG fan)!

2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• HydroCanis

Thanks, glad to hear it. Seems like few these days, even those old enough, recall it. By the way, some day I'll get to the UK, and I plan to visit Port Meirion.

I am not a number! I am a free man.

David