Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

New Engine Maybe

Toying with the idea of upsizing my engine on my 2003 198 REF.  Has a Yamaha 150 VMAX, but want to move to the 200HP.  My friend, a Mech Eng, says, "We always build a little room in designs."  The specs do say 150 is the max, but I want 60mph - fish a lot of tournaments.

What does anyone think about doing this?  Too big for the 198?  Maybe go 175HP?

Thanks for any insight or experience.

Best Answer

Answers

• IdahoMark
    IdahoMark Member Posts: 14
    Thanks for the insight.  Helps a great deal.  I'll check the law, but likely Idaho hasn't anything for it.  Still quite a bit "Wild West" up here.

Was thinking about beefing up the transom to do it.  If it gives me torque problems, I'd likely "prop-down."
  • omar174
    omar174 Member Posts: 167 ✭✭✭
    I think it's a terrible idea. The manufacturer designed/built/tested your hull for a max of 150 HP. Why in the world would you ever deviate from that? If you need more speed, sell your boat and buy one that fits your needs. With the cost of a new engine, rigging, etc. it's probably cheaper in the end anyways.

If you get in an accident and your boat is over powered, you think the law is going to care that you think its safe?  
    2003 GS211 Yamaha 150 HP OX66