Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Do I need a new propeller?

Options
Klipdrift
Klipdrift Member Posts: 2
edited September 2014 in Deck Boat Support
I have an 18'10" 2014 deck boat with a 115HP Yamaha motor.  It does not seem to be powerful enough when trying to pull a skier or wakeboarder out of the water and is slow to reach speed when towing a tube.
Is the engine just too weak or is there a propeller I could buy to improve thrust for towing? 

Comments

• 89checkmate
    89checkmate Member Posts: 148 ✭✭✭
    Options
    What pitch do you have now? You can get a lower pitch prop and that will improve your bottom end for water sports.
  • nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @klipdrift.  As @89checkmate indicated you could play with the pitch to give you better bottom end performance.  However, with a 115HP, getting a wakboarder or skier up, you'll have a tough job given the size of the engine.  Also, you'll need to minimize weight in the boat (people) as well.  Unfortunately, with that size boat, with a 115, tubing is a possibility as is cruising, etc but watersports such as wakeboarding and skiing are tough.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • Klipdrift
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.  Yes, tubing is good...just pulling the skier out of the water with only 3 people in the boat is difficult. 
    I am not sure what pitch we have...it is whatever the dealer supplied with the boat.  Next time we go down to the marina, I will check.  What pitch do you recommend 89checkmate?
    I realize that lowering the pitch will probably only marginally improve our watersports....so my next question is:  Anyone know the best place to buy new engines in Palm Beach, Florida???
    It really would have been ideal if Hurricane put a slightly larger engine on the boats.  Currently I'm a little disappointed.
  • 89checkmate
    89checkmate Member Posts: 148 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I'd try going down a few pitches on the prop and you could also add a set of smart tabs or a set of negative transom wedges.

when we were looking for our boat this summer that was the problem I found, they all had a 115 or 150, ended up ordering the boat so I could get it with a 200.
  • Klipdrift
    Options
    Thanks 89checkmate.  Wish we had ordered a boat with a 200 in Feb when we got ours!