Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Colored hulls

Im doing my research on the Hurricanes and before i buy I need your help with my questions please.
Those with colored hulls please list the color  and
how has it been holding up?
I saw a new 2400 online that matched my Ruby Red F-150 but my wife said to stay away from the colors.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

Comments

• HydroCanis
    HydroCanis Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    Can't say personally, but I've seen some decade-old red Sundecks that still don't look faded. Mine's tan. Would not be my choice, but buying used means you can't have everything just the way you'd want it. As with anything, if you cut the UV and acid rain (less of a threat in recent years... https://www.classzone.com/books/earth_science/terc/content/investigations/es1807/es1807page02.cfm) exposure, it'll last much longer. Keep it under shelter or at least cover. What percentage of the year would it necessarily be exposed? 1%? 5%? 10%?

But maybe I just want to see you get red because it looks great out there!
    David
    2003 Sundeck 217 OB, Yamaha 150 2 Stroke
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own." - Number 6

• endlessseas
    endlessseas Member Posts: 20
    Thanks David and yes the red looks good. I've only seen it in a picture not in person. I have seen the white hull with some graphics and it looks good also.I do well with maintaing a boat on a trailer. The reason I'm curious is a buddy has a red Rinker and it is shot and I have heard that Rinker and Hurricane are owned by the same company.
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Just an FYI, endlessseas is correct:

Hurricane is one of the brands of Nautic Global Group, along with Rinker, Godfrey Pontoons (Aqua Patio, Sweetwater & San Pan) and Polar Kraft.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• endlessseas
    So do you think getting a red hull would be safe?
  • HydroCanis
    I know there are a few owners of red Hurricanes that I've seen post on this forum. I'm hoping they'll pipe up, as I'd like to hear their experiences, too.
    David
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own." - Number 6

• Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2014
    I've had my red SD 217 for nearly 5 years now.  I have seen no fading.  I wash and wax once per year with a good quality wax.  Keep the boat covered when not in use, and it is stored inside  a covered marina.  

As mentioned above, a lot depends on how the boat is stored.  If you leave it in the sun/rain the gel-coat will begin to oxidize and fade faster, but even then it usually just takes a little compounding to make it look new again.  This is true for all colors not just red.  I've seen the detail guys at my marina restore very faded hulls on totally neglected boats to nearly new condition with just some compound buffing.  I would not hesitate to buy whatever color you prefer.  
    2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner
  • endlessseas
    Thank you Ernest your boat looks great!Can you  tell me what engine you have please?

Thanks,
    Tom
  • Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2014
    I've got a Yamaha F150 Outboard on my boat.  My top speed with the 3 blade Yamaha prop that came on the motor was around 42 mph.  I'm now running a 4 blade prop for improved watersport performance.  The 4 blade gives me better hole shot, but reduces my top end speed to around 38 mph.  

2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner
  • endlessseas
    You have a very nice looking boat and thanks for the info.
  • HydroCanis
    ET, I'm still jealous of your paint!
    David