Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Having a hard time deciding between Hurricane 187 OB or Hurricane 188 SS OB

jjsexyfun
jjsexyfun Member Posts: 7
Having a hard time deciding between
Hurricane 187 OB (This model has the windshield)
Hurricane 188 SS OB ((This model has NO the windshield)

the hard time is Do i really need the windshield I test drove it and it is direct on my sight of view when I am seating cruising.

any comments will be great help Thanks

Comments

• maxbird
    maxbird Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    Windshield is good on cool days and keeps you and passengers out of the wind.  Captain's seat also has a bolster to lift you above the windshield so your view is unobstructed.  I don't like sitting behind the windshield myself, but my passengers do if it's chilly.  If the temperature and wind isn't a problem, you don't need the windshield.  
  • jjsexyfun
    jjsexyfun Member Posts: 7
    thank you Max...it is South FL so not too many cold days
  • Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    I agree with maxbird, that the windshield is great for boating in the fall when the temps cool.  My wife wouldn't go out with me then without it.  It has also come in handy when we got caught out in a shower to help keep the rain blowing back on us as we powered to shelter.  However, if you don't have to worry about temps, you will be fine with the 187.
    2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    It looks like the helm seat with the bolster is optional on both models.  You may want to make sure the SD 187 has it.  As maxbird states, and I agree, I also use the bolster on my helm seat very often.  Being a northern boater, I do appreciate the full windshield for protection from wind and rain.

Also, if you are ordering the boat, I would suggest you give the "Hardware Upgrade" option serious consideration, especially because it upgrades the bimini top supports from aluminum to stainless steel.  You'll appreciate all those upgrades in the long run.  Plastic speaker covers yellow with time.  Vinyl rubrails get marred, scuffed and mold can set in with time: making an ugly mark on an otherwise nice looking boat.  I'm very glad I opted to get the stainless steel rubrails on my boat.

Just a suggestion.....
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• HydroCanis
    HydroCanis Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    I'd add that I am very pleased to have the steel Bimini top frame, but don't have a flip-up bolster seat and wish I did. I highly recommend both. I have the full windshield, but I'd want that seat regardless. I agree with Ernest and cjjj on the windshield. I also prefer the overall profile with it. Take a good look, you may or may not. Also, we flip the center part open and closed constantly. That might become annoying to some.
    David
    2003 Sundeck 217 OB, Yamaha 150 2 Stroke
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own." - Number 6

• bshippjr
    bshippjr Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
    I had a GS248 with no windshield.  The primary reason I went to the 217 was to go to an OB.  A secondary reason was the windshield.  We have been very pleased with having the windshield and would recommend it.
    2000 Hurricane SD 217 OB
  • MichelBee
    MichelBee Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    I went with the 187 because of the windshield.  It doesn't make that big of a difference for the pilot but it makes a huge difference for the passengers.  Even in nice weather on a long day of cruising, the wind can get tiresome. 

I don't think you lose anything in terms of space on the boat. So to me, it was a no brainer.
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Just thought about another plus for the windshield.  I can have a relatively normal conversation (not yelling) with anyone sitting behind the windshield when at cruising speeds and above.  You can also hear things better behind the windshield as well.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer