Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

warranty denied

The warranty of the hull on a hurricane 187 with less than one year should be transferred to another party.

Comments

• johncarolyn0227
    johncarolyn0227 Member Posts: 3
    This boat is immaculate inside and out. I have a wrinkled effect in the hull and feel that hurricane should stand behind their boats. If the Hurricane boat is as good as they claim, why won't they help me with this defect.
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Just so the forum members clearly understand your situation, are you saying that you are the second owner of this boat and that you think Hurricane should extend the original owner's warranty coverage to you as well?
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• hunterpaul
    hunterpaul Member Posts: 2
    Just so I understand are you saying Hurricane will not honor a hull defect for a second owner? Even if the boat is 6 months old?
  • hunterpaul
    hunterpaul Member Posts: 2
    My previous question referred to a deck boat with a 10 year hull warranty.
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Hurricane's warranty only covers the original owner and they do state that in the warranty statement that comes with the boat.  Unfortunately, it is not transferable to subsequent owners.  Engine and drive manufacturers warranties are transferable within the original warranty period, often with a fee.

I have attached a copy of the warranty that came with my boat.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• johncarolyn0227
    johncarolyn0227 Member Posts: 3
    I understand that, my thoughts on this is the boat had less than a year in use. The boat was in excellent condition. The problem was only a cosmetic fault. This could have been fixed by the dealer for low cost.Happy customers come back.
  • HokieBrian
    HokieBrian Member Posts: 1
    Confused by what you mean by a 'wrinkle effect' in the hull? From your original posts it sounded as if it was a structural flaw. From your later posts it sounds as if it cosmetic in nature. Hurricane hulls are fiberglass and like all fiberglass hulls they will not wrinkle or bend for that matter. Rather they will crack, splinter and break if put under enough force.

My family recently purchased an SD187 OB. We considered many different manufacturers and new versus used. We eventually decided on a new Hurricane primarily because of the warranties (boat and motor) and the lack of used Hurricanes on the market. From our two years of research before buying our boat, hull warranties typically extend to the original owner of the boat only (not sure of the reasoning for that but it is what is).

When we took delivery of the boat we noticed a slight imperfection in the gel coat of the hull ( of course we didn't notice it until we had driven it home). It was on the starboard side about midship and was about two feet long (vertically) and a foot wide. It appeared to be a 'wave' in the hull but that was only an optical illusion - you couldn't feel it only see it. I spoke to the dealer a couple days later and sent them a photo and they confirmed that it was only cosmetic and was caused by the dealer when they attempted to buff out a couple scuffs made by the shipping straps used when the hull was sent to the dealer (i.e. before final assembly at the dealer). I rebuffed the starboard side of the hull, not just where the imperfection was but the entire starboard side, and the imperfection disappeared. Could be you have a similar mark.  Anyway, hope that helps.

If you do decide to polish boat use a random orbit sander/polisher if you can. For non-professional boat detailers (like myself) it can be easy to overheat the gel coat. What was any easy fix becomes much more difficult and expensive.