Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Steering Wheel Removal

gbchilds
gbchilds Member Posts: 6
Hey folks! Need a little "experienced" help! I have a 1994 Fundeck 196 OB and need to replace the steering wheel. I have removed the plastic center cap and the 3/4" main nut. I cannot get the original wheel off using what I call "reasonable" force. It won't budge. I tried just pulling (by hand), a little prying, etc. and can't get it to move. I am afraid to do too much because I don't want to damage the shaft. I thought it was just a tapered/keyed fit, but is there something I am missing? Do I need a wheel puller or a crowbar??? Please help!

Comments

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Here ya go, just got this from my dealer, I learned something too.

"Tell him to put the nut back on the shaft just to the end of the threads. It's better to have two people do this. With one person in the helm seat, grab the steering wheel with both hands and apply constant pressure to pull off. The other person can then take a hammer and tap the nut in the center a few times and the wheel should pop off the shaft. Then remove the nut to remove the wheel. Might take a good hard tap to break free. This has worked for me. Just let them know to put the nut on the shaft to protect the threads."

Did I ever tell you how much I like my Hurricane dealer?

2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• gbchilds
    Perfect! I sprayed WD-40 on the nut/threads yesterday before posting my question. Followed the above directions and it popped off with a single tap of the hammer. I actually used 2 wedges 180 degrees out to apply the outward pressure (just in case you don't have a 2nd person handy!)
  • gbchilds
    Ooops!! Almost forgot the most important part - Thank you!!!
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Glad that worked for you!

Take a pic of the new wheel after you get on and post it!
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer