Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Underwater lights

HydroCanis
HydroCanis Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
I suspect some think these things are cheesy, and I'm not sure what I think yet, but I've been thinking it might be fun to mount an LED or two below the water line. Being allergic to drilling holes in the hull, I've been looking at the models made to screw into the stern bilge drain plug hole (assuming I eventually get my plug loose). Has anyone tried this, and if so, what do you think?

David
2003 Sundeck 217 OB, Yamaha 150 2 Stroke
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own." - Number 6

Comments

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    Never tried it but assume the brass the brass threading will work as well as the plug itself.  And........NOW I WANT ONE!!!!!! :#
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • 89checkmate
    89checkmate Member Posts: 148 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2014
    I got the factory LEDs on mine and really like them, have a few freinds with this plug style and they have been good too, I was thinking about getting one as well just to add to it, I don't care if some say it's cheesy, lights up the water nice for swimming and looks cool underway because the lights are pretty much out of the water so it's lights up most of the wake.
  • HydroCanis
    Thanks for the thoughts/observations. I thought the same about the brass, nquirk—if something corrodes, it should be limited to whatever's inside the plug and not between it and the boat.

Trying to decide where I'd put the switch. I'd like to operate it independently of the anchor, nav, or docking lights. Maybe install a panel for extra switches where the snap-on cover below the steering wheel is located? Sort of don't want to drill holes in the cluster panel unless I have a matching switch. I guess I could look for one.

Where are the factory LEDs mounted? Are all of yours white, Checkmate? Any thoughts on colors? In photos, I think blue looks kinda cool.
    David
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own." - Number 6

• 89checkmate
    89checkmate Member Posts: 148 ✭✭✭
    Mine are blue, two mounted on the back of the transom right above the bottom of the hull
  • HydroCanis
    Nice. Decisions, decisions...
    David

• Dpierce
    Dpierce Member Posts: 3
    I, too, have been considering a LED set for my 226Fundeck.  Where did you find the brass fixture with LED wires? 
  • HydroCanis
    I think I've seen it branded AGPTek or some such.

I was just considering ordering one last night, but I'm hesitating because I've been pulling the plug fairly often. If I'm careful with the wrench, suppose it'll stand up to frequent removal/replacement? Bonus—unlikely to misplace the plug!
    David

• jerryrohde
    jerryrohde Member Posts: 1
    My top on my 2015 Hurricane SS201-O/B Deck boat i just purchased, is in bad shape where can i find a top to fit it.  frame is in great shape... HELP THANKS