Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

My husband and I recently purchased a 2014 Hurrican 211 SS ..we love it but we would like to install

melzell
melzell Member Posts: 1
a trolling motor and want to know the best suggested model for our boat? It also did not come with a bow chair can that be installed as well and what is your suggestion for that?

Answers

• njm130
    njm130 Member Posts: 10
    I just bought a 2014 SS 231 and will be doing the same.  I was recommended the Minn Kota Riptide ST with 112lb thrust and 60" shaft ($1830, plus batteries, battery trays, battery charger, mounting bracket, and install) since I want spot lock and i-Pilot features.  Here is what I found out so far...

- 80lbs thrust is bare minimum, 100+ recommended.  Reason, 80lbs thrust is good up to about a 4000lb boat. Add fuel/water/gear/people and I'm at 4500-5000lbs. I want spot lock in current so I need 100+ thrust.  One owner with a 20' hurricane and 80# thrust like is but does not use it for trolling or spot lock in current.  He sees only 2.5 mph.  Minn Kota rates the 112# thrust motor good for a 23' boat and up to 7kts.   

- fishing package pre-wiring is good enough for 36v system but you need 3 deep cycle 12v batteries for the 100+ lb thrust motor (2 batteries for 24v, 80# thrust) and a separate cranking battery.  I am hoping to use my trolling batteries as house batteries as well to avoid a 5 battery set up, we'll see.  

- 54" shaft will work fine since the bow is low, but the 112# Minn Kota only comes in 60" shaft length.  Some installers can cut the shaft down or you can live with a long trolling motor.  

- Mounting options are limited.  Hurricane did not design the bow well for a trolling motor.  I have seen many pics with people mounting them straight through the bow opening step but our model has the anchor locker and fishing chair there.  Also, when stowed it will be in the way of people sitting in the bow area.  I would prefer to mount it along the bow angle to maintain access to the anchor locker and fishing chair without deploying the motor to get to the anchor. If I mount it straight I have to remove the seat and deploy the motor to get to the anchor.  The angle from the bow swim step to the rub rail causes a decent overhang requirement for the trolling motor mount and limits the angle mounting options as well.  Also, I want the motor safely stowed out of the way when docking but it has to clear the rub rail too.  This is my biggest problem and suggestions are greatly aporeciated.  I think I might need to fabricate a custom mount.

- Hummingbird 899 units are being discontinued for the new Helix line and are a great value right now and a more capable unit according to a Bass Pro Marine Electronics expert.  They pair with the Minn Kota for A/P and spot lock features.  

- Some Hurricane owners see a listing problem with multiple batteries on one side.  Our boat has the water tank on the opposite side and can be filled for a counter ballast.  I don't expect this to be a big issue with four batteries.  

Hope this helps a little.  If you or others find out more info or come across other issues please post them here.  Let's make this a one-stop-shop thread for hurricane trolling motor issues.  My search here found the info quite scattered.
    2014 SS 231 w/Yamaha 200 

• PescaBene
    PescaBene Member Posts: 64 ✭✭
    Hello Melzell, what did you end up deciding for the trolling motor? I just ordered the 2016 231 and I am planning on the Riptide or Terrova 112 thrust.  Post pics please if you have them. Thanks - Pesca Bene
  • david5311
    david5311 Member Posts: 2
    just wondering if anyone has found a good way to mount Trolling Motor. I have a Minn Kota 60" shaft mounted on front of boat with the shaft going down middle of step. Always in the way. Would like to mount with the shaft on side of boat so not in way of seating or step to get to the front of boat. I have a 2011 SS202 with Fishing package. Will be upgrading to a SS 211 OB in a year or two.
  • PescaBene
    PescaBene Member Posts: 64 ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Hello @david5311, it's a little hard to see the platform but you can see how my motor sits when stowed on http://hurricaneboats.vanillaforums.com/profile/reactions/PescaBene?reaction=awesome
    My dealer fabricated a platform that extends out over the bow a bit.  We mounted the Minn Kota bracket to the platform. 
  • david5311
    david5311 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks @PescaBene for the Information. I have positioned my trolling motor in several ways but can't find a good way yet. I am going to take it to a local boat Mech. and get his advice. The only way I see is build a 4" platform and slant it up to get it high over the rail. Yours worked well.