Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

No power SD 217 w/ 150 Yamaha outboard

Just finished flushing the motor on my new to me 2005 SD217. Put the motor down with the tilt switch on the motor. After flushing, went to put the motor up and no power! Switch on the motor doesn't work, not does the switch on the throttle. Tried starting the motor also, nothing (as expected), Battery switch (with key lockout) tried at 1, 2 and ALL. Put a jumper pack on one of the two batteries but as expected, nothing.

Battery connections look good, boat ran fine yesterday, motor turned over immediately. I always shut the batteries down when ot using. Something simple I am assuming, that controls all of the electrics, but not sure what to look for. Any help appreciated.
Regards,
Jerry

Comments

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the Owners Forum!

You most likely have either a bad connection (loose or corroded) or a blown fuse (probably in-line from the battery) for the system.  the trim system is part of the engine controls (which comes from Yamaha) and won't show up on a Hurricane wiring diagram (except for a brown & white wire going to the trim gauge).  It would probably help if you got the Yamaha manual.  ABYC's Marine Wiring Color Code states that the tilt/trim wiring color should be a green striped wire.  I'm attaching the chart for your reference.

Hope this helps.

2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• gsfent
    gsfent Member Posts: 2
    Thanks.

Worked on it this morning. The ground on one battery was junk, completely corroded when I pulled it off. I think it is battery 2, it has a bunch of small wires also grounded to it. I was able to undo the battery 1 ground, pulled the main ground wire and put new battery clamp terminals on it (the old one was a large ring terminal; each battery post has both a standard battery post and a connected post for small ring terminal attachments). I now have power to everything, but still not tilt or motor. Perco battery switch shows 12.6 V on both batteries. So it is not a battery issue. 

Next step (on the weekends only) is to figure out how to pull the cover off the motor and look for the main fuse which is supposed to be on the left side. There is also a relay and supposedly common power then for motor and tilt. Since the boat is on a lift, everything is harder since I have to work on the boat leaning over the back. Oh, boat joys!

Thanks for the help.

Regards,
    Jerry
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    That always the electrical problem route, process of elimination.

Please let us know how you make out!
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer