Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

GPS

jvmonte
jvmonte Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
I have a 2012 2200 sundeck(which I love) want to get a gps. What is the best one to get and mount on the dash, not much room there, any suggestions

Comments

• tcdriver
    tcdriver Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    I am using a Standard Horizon GPS-Map with a radio by the same co. on a 2004 237ob. I am fairly tall and that helps when viewing the GPS. I have the GPS and radio connected so I can be easily spotted if an emergency arises. This connection is simplified if both are made by the same co.. Before I bought a GPS ,I made a mockup to conform that everything was visable.
  • MichelBee
    MichelBee Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    I purchased the Navionics app for my android phone.  I think it's available for iphone also.  The cost was $15.  You can select and download maps for use in areas with no cell service.

Purchased a suction cup holder for $15.  So for $30 I was able to get gps mapping on my boat.

I know there are limitations like rain, screen visibility in direct sunlight and screen size. If your usage, like mine, are not extensive. It's a cheap way to get gps.

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    The, what I call ?stylish?, dash boards at the helm of most sport/deck boats aren't designed to add/integrate additional electronics very well.  However, it can be done depending on what you find ?acceptable? as far as the appearance goes.  You stated you wanted to add GPS.  Is it GPS you want only, or are you considering a Fishfinder/Sonar/GPS combination unit?  If it?s just GPS you want, then maybe MichaelBee?s suggestion might be satisfactory for you.  From the helm pictures I see on Hurricane?s website of the dash on the SD2200 it looks like you could get an in-dash mounted Combo unit from Hurricane locating it in the center area reserved for the device.  Your dealer may still be able to install that unit for you.  If you still are looking to mount the GPS unit elsewhere, I?ll share what I did on my SD237 I/O: 

My goal was to install a combo unit with the newer ?structure? technologies and get as large a screen that I could fit/afford.  I too had limited space/area where I could mount a unit and make sure it didn't interfere/block the instruments on the dash.  I got the overall dimensions of the units I was interested in and made cardboard ?boxes? of those dimensions to get a better feel for what units might fit the best.  The unit I decided fit best was the Lowrance HDS-7 with StructureScan LSS-1 (Gen 1?. There is now a ?Gen 2?), this gave me a nice 7 inch screen (I had a 5 inch on my previous boat).  In order to have some flexibility to position the unit properly, I installed a Ram Mount model RAM-111U (I?m a big fan of these!).  The mount allowed me to attach the base of the ball mount to a flat spot on the far right side of the dash.  The arm and other ball mount that the unit bracket attaches to allowed me to raise and move the unit high enough off the dash to articulate it closer to the inside of the starboard windshield.  This allowed me to still see all my instruments and caused minimal obstruction of my overall view with the unit installed.  If it helps, I have some pictures that can give you an idea of what I did, but this site/forum makes it hard to display pictures.  If you would like to see them, you can send me a personal message with an e-mail address and I?ll be happy to forward them to you.

I have owned three different Lowrance units over the past 20+ years and have been very satisfied with their durability and performance.

Hope this helps.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• jvmonte
    jvmonte Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    thank you this is a great help I have been very confussed at what to get and didn't want to spend alot of money and be dissapointed
  • Shore_thing
    Shore_thing Member Posts: 1 ✭✭

We just bought a 2014 SD2200 OB and had a Lowrance Elite 4 HDI Gold GPS installed by the dealer.  It fits the dash perfectly and is easy to use.  If you want depth and sonar, you will need a transom mounted 83/200 transducer.  It comes with a Navionics micro SD card for great map resolution.  $369 for the combination at West Marine.