Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Lost seat back cushion while trailering Hurricane

al2sc
al2sc Member Posts: 2
I recently lost the stern seat back cushion while trailering my 2002 GS 201 IO Hurricane. Just ordered a replacement (seat back portion only) and projected cost is $300. Any suggestions on keeping the replacement from "flying away too". They only velcro in currently. Also, Canvas cover ripped at the snaps during trip even though I had placed extra straps at bow and mid-ship...thoughts/suggestions here? Thanks for any helpful feedback.

Comments

• Epavuk
    Epavuk Member Posts: 26
    I almost lost my back cushion over the weekend as well.   I had to take my boat in for the 20 hour maintenance and asked my dealer about it.   He basically said its a problem for just about all boat manufacturers.   He said he hasn't seen anyone figure out a sure fire way to secure them, especially if you want easy access to get to the storage below the seats.
  • Capt_Steve
    Capt_Steve Member Posts: 416 admin
    Hey guys...I've requested a response from Hurricane engineering dept, and will let you know what I hear back. Thanks for your patience.
  • jlake
    jlake Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    Look forward to hearing more on this....when I got home the day I took delivery of our SD 187 I was surprised to see that during my 30 min drive all of the cushions in the back of the boat had "blown off" their spots.  The rear center one hadn't been locked down by the dealer and no one mentioned this as a risk.  Luckily, they all stayed in the boat!  (we did have most of the deck hatch covers blow out, though, and I'm still looking for replacement options.
  • tone100
    tone100 Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    I took some nylon webbing and sewed plastic clips to them. I then screwed one end of the webbing to the seat and the other to the seat base. I left enough slack so I can get my hand in there and unsnap it when I'm at the lake and off the road. I hope it will keep them for blowing out they are now tethered to the boat.
    2011 SS 188 OB
    Yamaha F150
  • anchor1
    anchor1 Member Posts: 12
    I also have a 2002 gs 201 io and lost the rear corner seat back while towing it on the highway last weekend. Where can I find a replacement?
  • Capt_Steve
    Hey @anchor1 ... you can order that directly from your local dealer. Let me know if you need help finding a dealer...just need your zip code.
  • anchor1
    The local dealer contacted hurricane. They indicated that they no longer stocked that seat cushion. I also contacted Veada and they also indicated that they no longer stock these cushions. Looks like I am stuck with having a local upholstery firm make a custom version.
  • Capt_Steve
    @anchor1 ... thanks for the update...let us know how the custom cushion turns out.
  • Jeff221
    Jeff221 Member Posts: 7
    Happened to me. Perfect solution- buy a spider net for use on pickups as they come w multiple plastic hooks for securing to rails, frames, etc! The cushions, gear may blow around underneath net but never blow out of boat again.
  • anchor1
    I went to a customer upholstery shop but they could not match the curvature of the corner backrest. Does anyone know what material is used on the back of the hurricane seat cushion so that I can purchase a sheet and form it into the shape needed. It looks like some kind of plastic that I assume can be heat formed. I have read about pouring boiling water over 1/4 " plywood and bending it into the required curvature. Then gluing three of these 1/4 " plywood pieces together to provide the backing that can be upholstered. Any help would be appreciated in locating a source for a curved backrest that would fit my 2002 gs 201.
  • mcan3
    mcan3 Member Posts: 9
    Anybody still there? Just bought a 2002 GS 201 and on way home from dealer seat back over engine compartment blew away. No doubt Hurricane won't have these anymore, right?  What's best way to get it custom made? Anybody have dimensions and pic for me to help me get this done? Otherwise it's gonna be plywood  and some sofa cushions with lots of Velcro. 
    Thanks
    mark
  • bboater522
    bboater522 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2016
    I lost my back cushion this weekend, who and or where did you get a replacement from?
    Post edited by bboater522 on
  • M99
    M99 Member Posts: 68 ✭✭

Is this a regular problem across the Hurricane line? On my 2016 2200 DC OB, the bottom cushions can be pulled up easily to get to the storage compartments, but they seem secure enough while trailering.  The rear back cushions are attached firmly to the boat and I can't even see the proper method to remove them.

• TimKLL
    TimKLL Member Posts: 49 ✭✭
    M99, the upper part of the cushions definitely come out.  If you pull straight up on them they move.  They have offset metal brackets that are fastened to the boat, the brackets are slid inside round holes on the back of the cushions.  I've had all of mine out for cleaning.
    2015 Hurricane Sundeck 2200 DC OB, Yamaha F200
  • M99
    M99 Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    Thanks Tim.  I'll take another look the end of the week when it stops raining. It did seem like they had to come out, but I thought it best to ask someone that knew how before breaking something trying on my own. Mine seem pretty secure for trailering, so I wonder if Hurricane made some improvements in the last few years.