Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Cooler does not fit

I just purchased a new 2016 Hurricane 188 OB, and have had it for about 4 weeks.   I have a bunch issues that I am working back through my dealer, but this one I thought I'd post on the forum.  

The cooler supplied with the boat from Hurricane is nice.   But it doesn't fit in the space under the rear seat cushion cutout - as was expected.  Capt Steve in this video (which looks sponsored by Godfrey) says about 9:15 into the video that is a perfect spot for a cooler. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_U9LFMEa4Q   I'd post a picture, but don't see how to do that here.  

Has anyone else had this problem, and was it resolved by Hurricane?

Thanks, 
Steve

2016 Hurricane 188 OB, Yamaha 150

Comments

• steve_hutchings
    steve_hutchings Member Posts: 2
    Well, I figured out how to post a photo. Here is the Hurricane supplied cooler trying to fit in a spot for a cooler. 

2016 Hurricane 188 OB, Yamaha 150
  • hurrig8r
    hurrig8r Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    I have a 187 (same hull, but with full windshield). You are correct- the one that comes with the boat doesn't fit in that spot. I use it for storage for my rear anchor. It's also meant for an optional porta-potti. 

That said, I've always kept the small cooler in the locker under the helm on the starboard side. I think that's where it's designed to go since there is a separate or in there.
  • BWH
    BWH Member Posts: 113 ✭✭✭
    I purchased my Hurricane used so no cooler provided. However, most of your run of the mill igloo coolers with 2 wheels and that open side to side not front to back fit in that location nicely. I also put a 3 rod holder on the front of the cooler which also fits nicely. Does not solve your issue, but does give you options.    
  • BUXjr
    BUXjr Member Posts: 7
    edited May 2019
    Really interested in discovering the EXACT Igloo model number that fits that compartment.  I too purchased an SD187 used, so I didn't get the cooler and I'm struggling finding an exact fit.  Does anyone know which brand/model is the ideal fit?  Pictures?
  • sullmate
    sullmate Member Posts: 108 ✭✭
    there is no exact cooler that will fit this space. Tahoe has agreat system where the space is big enough to fit a cooler. Another engineering marvel brought to you by Hurricane engineers!!
  • BUXjr
    BUXjr Member Posts: 7
    Since posting this query, I've actually spoken to Terri Gipson at Hurricane directly, and she has conferred with the engineers of this boat design...  

As it turns out, the space below the rear seat bottom cushion (with the vinyl snap-in cover) was never designed as a cooler locker.  It was actually designed for a porta-potti!  It's specifically designed to hold a Thetford Corp. Porta-Potti 260p MSD (URL: https://www.thetfordmarine.com/us/product/porta-potti-260p-msd/).

Evidently, the specified white, 25qt cooler sold with this boat (Igloo #44677), was intended to be stored within either the starboard (helm) or port storage compartment(s).

Hope this helps.