Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Replaceing Bilge Pump

ontherox
ontherox Member Posts: 4
Hi, looking to replace the bilge pump on a Fundeck 201 outboard. The bilge is located just under the back seats but is only accessible through a couple of 6 inch holes in front of the engine, or maybe through the battery port. I can barley reach it with my hands and I can?t see it when I do this. Any tips on getting at this thing. And any recommendations on a new pump? Model Year 2000.

Comments

• mlmeador
    mlmeador Member Posts: 12
    My 238 Fundeck has the same potential problem.  I'll ask one of the repair folks around here (Clear Lake Texas) and will post his response.
  • Capt_Steve
    Capt_Steve Member Posts: 416 admin
    Hey guys...shooting this to Hurricane Customer Support to see if they have any ideas.

• Capt_Steve
    Here's the answer from Rinker Support...

The bilge pump is typically located thru the motor well access plates – you may be able to also gain access from the battery compartment also.

• ontherox
    ontherox Member Posts: 4

OK I did it. Access can be had through the two port holes in front of the engine.  It pays to have long thin arms and patience. I used the battery port to mount a flash light to illuminate the pump so I could see the screws (that took a bit of finagling, having a second person holding it is better).  There were four screws holding the housing down. One is in the back (of course) and I could only just barely see it through the port that the motor wires run out of.  I had to essentially do that one by feel alone.   As it turns out the pump needed a new cartridge and that just unscrews from the top of the housing, but it’s almost impossible to do that in place.  The pump cartridge is a 1000 gpm Johnson, got it on Amazon $35.

• Capt_Steve
  • haberman
    haberman Member Posts: 3
    When I purchased my Sundeck 1700 I was worried about the auto bilge pump: risk of drained battery during weeks away from lake.  Echo Bay dealer laughted, 'better than a swamped boat".  Well prior 28 years at the lake and never swamped, but in year 3 Hurricane bilge auto switch shorted and drained the battery.  A ha.   So I cut wire to auto switch and no more problems.  "too fancy by half" ?  
  • rdcastle
    rdcastle Member Posts: 100 ✭✭✭
    Yup! I did the blind bilge pump replacement myself after finding the one on our recently acquired 2001 GS201 FD completely inop. It is difficult with the outboard in place! Lol! The wiring was the worst. I am installing a custom built stainless "drop bracket" this year to lower the pump in the bilge so it can actually de-water it! It will attach on top of the original mounting block and lower the pump by at least 1/2" inch. It will also give a better grip on the Attwood Tsunami 1000 gph cartridge pump I installed when changing the cartridge.
    Rob Castle
    2001 Hurricane GS201 FD
    Yamaha 150 V6 2 Stroke, Oil Injection
  • HenryF
    HenryF Member Posts: 2
    Where is this cartridge you are talking about and how do you physically change it?  My bilge pump quit working out of te blue and I suspect something got stuck in te intake...where is te intake ad how do you fix te problem?  When I turn it on, te breaker flips right away for no apparent reason.
  • HenryF
    HenryF Member Posts: 2
    I should mention that I have a 2008 Hurricane 195RE with a Yahama 115hp four-stroke.