Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Are there seals for the battery access door on an SS 202 I/O?

Options
McSouth
McSouth Member Posts: 3
I have an SS 202 I/O with the extended platform on the back. When I come off plane and slow down the wake comes up the back of the boat and across the battery access door, even into the back of the boat.  When I turn off the battery, I see that a fair amount of water has gone through the gap around the battery access hatch door and onto the battery and trim pump, as well as putting water in the bilge.  I live in a lake, so the boat is up on a lift when not in use.  The bilge pump can get much of the water out, but not all.  So the bilge is always wet, which causes mildew and mold to grow if I don't dry it out and leave everything open.  Anyone found a way to seal the door, but still be easy to open the door to access batteries...or to stop having the wash come into the boat?  Thanks!

Answers

• piney
    piney Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
    Options
    Perhaps one could cut a gasket from sheet neoprene ?  I looked at my compartment door.  There isnt much space between the door and the deck .  I'd bet one could find a thin piece to use though as its not meant to be waterproof, just resistant 
  • guyfromohio
    guyfromohio Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    Options
    My ss202 is does the same.  I've learned to give it a little throttle right before complete stop to avoid the impending flood.  I also drilled a hole in the back port corner of the battery box so the water drains.
  • McSouth
    McSouth Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks!  The bad news is that I live on Lake Houston and as the waters rose from hurricane Harvey I had to pull the boat out of my boat house so it would not get crushed to the roof.  The rain, wind and waves kept washing water up on the platform and over the deck lid, and after two days she finally sank.  I think it is a design flaw to have an unsealed deck level hatch cover where water normally goes over it.  Something for Hurricane to work on.  Kinda ironic that my Hurricane boat sank in a hurricane...
  • guyfromohio
    guyfromohio Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    Options
    Oh no!  The bilge didn't pump it out?