Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

trailer type

RAdams
RAdams Member Posts: 2
Looking for recommended trailer for a 2018 FD 196F OB

Comments

• FlyingV5
    FlyingV5 Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
    RAdams, my soul brother! I have a 2012 FD196OB and will offer my recommendations.

It all depends on what you will do with the trailer. I use a single-axle aluminum trailer with hydraulic disc brakes and a folding tongue. It is adequate for short distances to launch and recover the boat once a year and store it in the winter. If I tried to tow this heavy boat all over the country, I would want a tandem-axle steel frame trailer, perhaps galvanized if salt water would be a factor. Electric brakes might be nice since my tow vehicle is set up for them. Whatever trailer you use will need guide posts at the rear. I have found that winching a FD forward on the trailer, even with wet carpet on the bunks, it just not practical. I back the trailer in deep enough that the boat can float all the way to the bumper and then snug the winch line. When the trailer comes out of the water, the boat sits down in the proper position (hopefully). Whatever you end up with, good luck!
  • RAdams
    RAdams Member Posts: 2
    Thank you very much. I currently have a huge pontoon and travel to all area lakes. Going to get a smaller boat, yes the FD 196 will be smaller, but still wanted a tandem axle and everything I saw on line was on a single axle, that's why I asked.
  • houndog709
    houndog709 Member Posts: 8
    I have a tandem axle aluminum McClain trailer for my SS188OB, a little smaller than your boat, but comparable weight, I believe.
    I'm so happy with it as a road trailer I had McClain build me another one without fenders or lights to use as a permanently installed trolly on my boat ramp.  They make a lot of trailers for Hurricane dealers (in Houston), and are familiar with all the bunks and specs for the boats.  I don't have brakes on mine, but they certainly can put them on.