Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Right horsepower?

Webineer
Webineer Member Posts: 2
Hello all,
I am brand new to Hurricane and boating in general. My question to you all is regarding my Hurricane 237 fundeck which came with a honda 130 HP 4 stroke. Is this boat too big for this engine? The boat is going to be run on the Chesapeake bay.
Thanks for your advice,
Paul

Comments

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    You didn't mention year, which can have a slight difference in what the boat's maximum horsepower rating was.  Regardless, the average max horsepower rating for the outboard version of the SD 237 is around 300 HP.  The chart of specs I show below is for the 2012 model.

The rule of thumb for minimum horsepower on a boat is no less than 75% of the maximum horsepower rating for that boat.  Using this formula for the SD237 puts minimum horsepower at 225 HP.  You are well below the minimum for the SD237.   I can only imagine why whoever owned the boat previously decided putting a 130 HP outboard on it thought it was a good idea.

Post edited by cjjjdeck on
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• Webineer
    Webineer Member Posts: 2
    I agree, the boat is a 1999 model. I think I’ll do some fishing and keep an eye open for a used engine.
    thanks for responding  
    paul
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Although my SD237 is an I/O, the maximum HP on my model was 320, which put my minimum at 240.  I have 260 HP and have been more than satisfied with the performance.  
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• RobertHan
    RobertHan Member Posts: 28
    Your boat’s total weight is the basic foundation when finding the appropriate amount of horsepower. The rule of thumb dictates that there should be 25 to 50 pounds for every single horsepower. You may consider the idea of adding two outboard motors but you don’t have to forget the additional weight.