Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Trailer Tongue Weight

Options
mcwilson
mcwilson Member Posts: 2
I just purchased a 2006 Fun Deck 200 that came on a Wesco trailer with tandem axles.  There is literally almost no tongue weight.  Should I loosen the forward post that has the winch on it and move it forward?  FYI, I could move it forward about 12 inches.
Thanks!

Comments

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Moving the winch post forward will work, but only if it gets you to the proper tongue weight.  You should find out what the total weight of the boat and trailer is to determine the proper tongue weight range you need to be (between 10% to 15% of gross trailer weight).

Here's a good description of the importance of proper tongue weight on a trailer:
    Tongue weight (TW) refers to the weight that a fully loaded trailer exerts downward on the hitch ball of the tow vehicle. Tongue weight should be between 10-15 percent of gross trailer weight (GTW). For example, a 10,000-lb trailer should have a tongue weight between 1,000 lbs and 1,500 lbs. You can adjust the tongue weight of your trailer by removing or adding cargo, or redistributing the load on the trailer. The tongue weight should never exceed the capacity of your tow vehicle, your hitch, or any of your towing components.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer