Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Bilge operation on a 2021 SD191 O/B

Options
WillS
WillS Member Posts: 3
How should the bilge operate?  Mine just seems to run regardless of water being present or not.  The only way to turn it off is to disconnect the negative lead at the battery.  Thoughts?

Answers

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bilge pumps are directly connected to the battery and engage by means of an automatic switch that senses water level in the bilge.  It doesn't matter if the master switch is on or off.  When the water level reaches a certain height, the switch will activate the pump.  If you press the bilge pump switch on your helm dash, you bypass this automatic feature and turn the bilge pump on full time.  You rarely need to turn the bilge pump on full time.  It is primarily there to use if you find the automatic switch is not operating properly.  It gives you  a method to remove bilge water until you get the chance to replace the switch.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• formerlyFlyingV5
    formerlyFlyingV5 Member Posts: 23
    Options
    WillS, if it runs with accessory power turned off, it must be the automatic switch. That gets power from the inline fuse off your battery. Solid state "electronic float" switches are notorious for failing. IMHO replace it with a mechanical float switch.

• WillS
    WillS Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Many thanks for the assistance.  I had the dealer look in to this and was told it was a bad fuse.  So, hopefully now that it's repaired the boat won't sink.