Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Bilge not functioning... and taking on water questions

sreutzel
sreutzel Member Posts: 14
We bought our 2013 FunDeck 226F at the beginning of this season.  The drain plug was seized, and the bilge only works about 25% of the time, so I've had a couple issues with water.  One time in the rain the water filled in the hull of the boat to where it was basically full - all the electronics, etc inside the boat were largely under water.  I had to get a garden hose and siphon the water out.  I just replace the drain plug assembly... so I have that going for me.  So... I have a few questions related to this.

1.  After 2-3 hrs in the boat yesterday, I drained probably 20-30 gallons of water out of the boat (it was a day the bilge decided to not work).  Other than water running up over the transom when we come to a stop (which should drain right out the transom drains), I don't know of anything that should put water in the hull.  Is it normal to take on this much water?  The only thing I can figure is a problem with the livewell (it also doesn't work, pump doesn't even turn on).  However, I would figure that if water is entering the livewell, it should drain out the same way it came in....not go into the hull to drain through the drain plug at the bilge.  

2.  The bilge is a single function switch, not a 3 position switch (on / auto / off).  There does appear to be a auto bilge float beside the bilge pump though.  When I turn on the bilge switch, I hear the motor turn on, even when it's bone dry.  I would think maybe the "on" position is auto-bilge, but since the pump turns on dry I assume that's not the case, that it's an actual manual on/off bilge.  Any idea?  I don't want to leave the bilge on all the time b/c I'm worried about burning up the bilge motor (which I think wonder if I need to replace anyway since the bilge only pumps water 25% of the time).  

3.  When I turn on the bilge, I always here it run.  Even if I can see water, it doesn't always pump it out.  Sometimes if I blow in through the bilge pump outlet, it will make it start pumping water.  If I pull the pump out of the housing and turn it on, it always spins.  I have an extra pump I bought for the livewell, should I use it for the bilge instead (as its obviously more important), or is there likely another problem.  Also, do I need to replace the auto-float?  Since I don't understand the 2 posititon switch, I don't know that the float is bad... I just know when there's water in there it almost never pumps out.  I hate to spend the time and money (mostly time) replacing things that I don't know are bad, but this non-working bilge in a boat that seems to take on tons of water is an obvious problem.

Fortunately, for those thinking "wow...sounds like he bought a P.O.S. boat".... these are pretty much the only things that don't work on the boat (RPM gauge doesn't work, depth finder doesn't tell temperature but otherwise works fine).  I paid 30k for the thing... it's got a Yamaha 150 and only had about 200 hours on the boat/motor.  The bilge and livewell are causing me major anguish though.

Any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• ChiknNutz
    ChiknNutz Member Posts: 45
    edited August 2021
    I just researched this a bit on my own boat.  My bilge switch is a single on/off as well.  However, the pump itself is supposed to have an auto function aside from the switch.  I have the manual for the pump and it shows how it's supposed to work and be wired.  However, mine does NOT seem to work in the auto mode.  They say to put two fingers on it for like 10 seconds and it should turn on.  Mine does not and I don't yet know why.  It does turn on at the switch, though.  The bilge pump is a "Johnson UltimaSwitch Combo Pump".  I have a 5A fuse right off the battery.

My livewell motor doesn't seem to be working at all, though there is power to the switch and the breaker above the switch is not tripped (as indicated by the red light).  Mine is a 2018 (new to me just a few weeks ago), seems like both of these should be working and not already having issues, but it is what it is.  The livewell pump is a Johnson SPX cartridge aerator/bilge pump (seems nearly identical to the other one, just devoid of the switch).  I cannot yet locate a fuse for this pump, aside from the breaker above the helm switch.

I've found that my depth finder, a Lowrance Hook 3X I think it is, also does not show temperature.
    -Chris
    2018 FD226F w/150 Yamaha & 2021 MagicTilt TCA2460W trailer
  • mikelm48
    mikelm48 Member Posts: 23
    You guys have gotten my interest now. I recently bought a 2010 216F. I just put it in the water for the first time this weekend. My big accomplishment was getting into the slip. I didn't think to check the bilge when I got it home. I know my bilge pump runs when I turn it on, but not a 100% sure it actually pumps water out. I will check that before I use it again. Mine also only has a 2 position switch and the Users Manual says if there is a float system you should have one with the "auto" position also. I didn't try the Live Well, but there is a pump at the transom and rectangular white plastic cover on the transom where the water to fill the live well is supposed to enter. I also have valve on the port side of the transom for draining the live well. Now that it is in the water I will start testing these. I don't have a switch labeled for the live well, but I think it uses the Nav switch that is 3 position. 

My most annoying issue is putting gas in the tank. Took it to a station that has Ethanol-Free gas. Started filling it and after about a gallon or so it started to overflow. I'm assuming it is a venting issue with the tank. Other than that, I'm pretty happy with it. I have a Yamaha 150 2-stroke with only 77 hours. Runs great.

I had the original transducer on the transom, but no Fish Finder. I bought a new Garmin 73sv and used the old cable to pull the new one through the hull. 

Good Luck.
    Mike
    Mike
    2010 Fun Deck 216F O/B, Yamaha 150 2-stroke.
  • ChiknNutz
    At first I thought this might be the transducer for the depth finder as I cannot find one anywhere on the exterior of the hull (so it must be an in hull transducer).  After looking further, it seems this is the intake grate for the livewell.  The pump is directly above this and only has one hose coming out of the pump, heading forward to the livewell.  I was under the assumption the intake would be on the aft of the transom.

I'd like to get a proper GPS unit as the existing Lowrance Hook 3X has none of that.  However, I have no idea where the transducer is located since it's nowhere to be found on the exterior of the boat.  If it is a "shoot thru hull" style, there's no accessing that and likely is not usable for a better unit anyway.
    -Chris
  • mikelm48
    I'd post to the Hurricane Support Q&A section. Your boat is new enough they should be able to tell you where to find the transducer if it was factory installed. I asked for some information there and got a response quickly.
    Mike
  • sreutzel
    I need to take a video next time I bring the boat out of the water... i'm guessing I've got 40-50 gallons coming out of the bilge plug.  I don't understand where all this water is coming from....but I'm assuming it has to be the livewell draining into the hull.  When I look at the bilge through the port, I'm not seeing that amount of water.  I'm seeing what looks like 2-5 gallons...but then when I pull the drain plug it gushes water like a garden hose for 5+ minutes.  
    I also see a bunch of water, maybe 3-5 gallons, coming out of what Chris seems to be identifying as a livewell intake grate.  I also don't understand that water draining.  I have the vent tube in, which I'd think would hold water in the livewell instead of letting it drain out.  I really don't understand my livewell.  I have a vent tube that plugs the bottom hole, and a plug in what I assume is a fill hole connected to the aerator/pump.  Am I correct in my assumption that the intake grate lets water in when the boat sits in water, then drains it out when the boat is moving?  Shouldn't it not drain when the pvc vent/overflow plug is in?
    Thanks for the help.
  • ChiknNutz
    I have no where near that amount coming out of the bilge plug.  If I where to take a guess, I'd say maybe 5 gallons?  It was never enough to warrant paying much attention to it, just seems like a "normal" amount I guess.  I haven't yet looked at the bilge area while on the water so cannot comment on that aspect.
    -Chris
  • formerlyFlyingV5
    formerlyFlyingV5 Member Posts: 23
    sreutzel, I wonder where all the water is getting in, but it sounds like you have the standard problem of non-working auto bilge pump switch. The pump is wired with two sources of 12V power: When you turn on the dash switch with the master power ON, it runs the pump manually (no float switch control). The float switch is wired to an inline fuse near the battery and should have power at all times, but you need to check it with a test light to confirm the fuse and wiring is good. I think your float switch is the solid-state type. These "float" switches do not actually have a float. They sense the water level electronically and they are notoriously unreliable. There are two dots on the switch labeled "place fingers here to test" or similar language. When you press your fingers to the dots, the pump should run. Mostly they do not run because they are junk. I replaced my solid-state "float" switch with a real float switch, the old fashioned kind with a real float. Now my auto bilge pump works. I don't know how to link it, but if you search my posts you will find the whole job with photos. And you also need to find where the water is getting in. Good luck and Happy Boating.
  • ChiknNutz
    Well as it turns out, my auto bilge DOES in fact work.  I didn't have my fingers exactly on those two dots of the float switch.
    -Chris
  • sreutzel
    sreutzel, I wonder where all the water is getting in, but it sounds like you have the standard problem of non-working auto bilge pump switch. The pump is wired with two sources of 12V power: When you turn on the dash switch with the master power ON, it runs the pump manually (no float switch control). The float switch is wired to an inline fuse near the battery and should have power at all times, but you need to check it with a test light to confirm the fuse and wiring is good. I think your float switch is the solid-state type. These "float" switches do not actually have a float. They sense the water level electronically and they are notoriously unreliable. There are two dots on the switch labeled "place fingers here to test" or similar language. When you press your fingers to the dots, the pump should run. Mostly they do not run because they are junk. I replaced my solid-state "float" switch with a real float switch, the old fashioned kind with a real float. Now my auto bilge pump works. I don't know how to link it, but if you search my posts you will find the whole job with photos. And you also need to find where the water is getting in. Good luck and Happy Boating.
    I'll go look for the two finger dots.... My bilge did work today, but I didn't look to see if the auto bilge was working (just assumed it wasn't and turned the bilge on right when I got in the boat.  Good thing I did..... We put the kids on the tube and ran around the river for about a half hour.  When we came to a stop, my wife said "does it feel like the back is sitting low in the water".  I pulled the cover plate, and while the bilge was pumping water out of the side, we had still taken on so much water it was near the top of hull.  We raced for the dock.  When I took out the drain plug once we were out of the water, I let water shoot like a garden hose from the drain plug for about 15 minutes.... then we just left it open and started driving home.  My inlaws behind us said we drained water the entire 20 minute drive home.  When we got in the driveway, I stopped on a hill and let water continue to shoot out for another 5-10 minutes.  I'm going to guess water was flowing at 3-4 gallons a minute...so we had maybe 100-150 gallon of water in the boat...from 30 minutes (tops) on the water.  When I first opened the port, I could see it was coming in pretty fast where the plumbing tube comes in to the top of the (non-working) livewell pump, like the hose clamp needed tightened.  It was leaking in there fast...but I can't imaging that was fast enough to put 150+ gallons of water into the hull (keeping in mind.... the bilge ran the entire time we were on the water and I still had 100+ in).  This was more water than we've ever gotten....and the hose was definitely leaking faster than it ever did before... so I don't know if that's my whole problem or just a coincidental partial problem.  This is frustrating.
  • sreutzel
    I don't know how to link it, but if you search my posts you will find the whole job with photos. And you also need to find where the water is getting in. Good luck and Happy Boating.
    Also... I will definitely find your post and do the same on the auto float once I confirm mine is not working.

• sreutzel
    Assuming this water is related to my livewell.... I'm still at a loss on how that livewell fills.  I have that vertical tube in that screws into the hole in the bottom.... I believe that's an overflow and a drain.  I'd think the fill hole is the one at top which I have a plug in.  Without a pump on.... Why is that livewell filling, and how is so much water pushing back to the pump to leak out.  I really don't understand this plumbing.  I'm curious if maybe something is disconnected somewhere....
  • mikelm48
    sreutzel said:
    Assuming this water is related to my livewell.... I'm still at a loss on how that livewell fills.  I have that vertical tube in that screws into the hole in the bottom.... I believe that's an overflow and a drain.  I'd think the fill hole is the one at top which I have a plug in.  Without a pump on.... Why is that livewell filling, and how is so much water pushing back to the pump to leak out.  I really don't understand this plumbing.  I'm curious if maybe something is disconnected somewhere....
    I see that you looked at the plumbing diagrams from https://forum.hurricaneboats.com/discussion/3947/livewell-problem#latest. Don't know about yours, but those seem to match my plumbing. The batteries are on the other side though. My boat is on a sling lift, so I can't easily get to the drain plug, but turned on the bilge pump and it pumped water out for about 5-10 minutes. I was surprised at how much was there. So, it seems I may be having the same issue. I'm going to test out the live well drain today and make sure the drain line is connected. As in the diagrams, mine exits at the rear on the port side. There is also a valve there that can be shut off, right now it is open. Since I am not using the live well, I'm going to close it next time out and see if it makes any difference.
    Mike
  • OV59
    OV59 Member Posts: 14
    Replace the pump auto switch, and rotted wiring.  It's a job worth doing.  These boats take on rain water and there's nothing you can do about that except replace deck drains and hoses and overboard thru hull fittings.  The pump has to be in good order.
  • delboat2017
    delboat2017 Member Posts: 4
    Bought a new 2017 19CC (center console) and had same issue with gas backing up. Called Hurricane and they said a special funnel should have been in boat.  No, it wasn’t.  They sent one for free. It works better but still backs up at times.  Looking down into the gas port, you can see the air vent outlet. Very Dumb design. The vent tube should be higher up so when filling gas, it does’t go into the vent. And the “Special Funnel” end doesn’t even go past the vent top.  I have a longer funnel I may try which ends Past the vent top, but it’s very narrow. Oh well. I use non alcohol fuel too.