Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

90hp OB for a 196 r, Is it enough?

grimes01
grimes01 Member Posts: 4
I now have my eye on a 2002 196 r that has a 90hp Yamaha on the back.  Is this enough engine for cruising, tubing, etc?  We are a family of 5 (40'ish parents with 3 young children).

Comments

• MNDaveC
    MNDaveC Member Posts: 24
    sounds underpowered for pulling anything (tubers, skiers)
  • nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭

@grimes01.  Best thing you can do is look at the max HP rating on the boat.  the minimum you should consider for matching your needs is 70%. 

Example, if max HP rating is 200HP, then you'd be looking at a minimum of 140HP.  So given engine sizes of 135HP and then 150HP in that range, I'd be looking at no smaller than a 135HP.

However, for tubing, skiing, etc I always apply 80-85%.  The reason being is those young kids will become big kids and will invite friends along and the boat now ends up with 6-8 people in it plus what its pulling on the back.  Only you can determine your exact needs.

This is always a good guideline when shopping for boats for your purposes specified.

So to answer your original question.  90HP would be great for cruising and fishing, but for watersports and extra passengers, its underpowered.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • grimes01
    grimes01 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks again for the info!
  • rgforrester
    rgforrester Member Posts: 7
    I have a 115hp Yamaha (4stroke) on my GS201.  It is quick with just two people. But, it's sluggish when you get 4 or 5 grown people in it.  I am thinking a 150hp OB would be a noticeable improvement, but not significant. I have a friend with a 200hp OB, and that is the holy grail IMHO for a 20' boat.
    2001 GS201 Yamaha 115 OB (4 stroke)
  • bshippjr
    bshippjr Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
    Max hp for 196 is 150 hp.  For young kids 90 hp is probably ok.  Our first boat was a 25' pontoon with 50 hp Yamaha and it did ok with tubes.  As kids got older it was not fast enough.

If you are still looking at this boat the best way to tell is take it on a sea trial and try it out.
    2000 Hurricane SD 217 OB
  • CaptMike2
    CaptMike2 Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    I have the 4 stroke Yamaha 115 on the 188 Sport and it's ok for tubes, wake boards, almost makes 40mph. so anything less than that would be very disappointing...
    A Pirate 200 years too late, the canons don't thunder there is nothing to plunder, I'm an over 50 victim of fate..
  • scibby
    scibby Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    I agree with Capt Mike, we have a 4 stroke 115 hp Suzuki on our 196 GS and it has no issue pulling tubes, skiers, and is not sluggish at all hauling 6 people, and it still tops out at 45 MPH.  90 seems a little lite  
  • ss188rider
    ss188rider Member Posts: 17 ✭✭

I have a 4 stroke 115 hp Yamaha on my ss188.  It is ok for 4 people total pulling tubes and knee boarding.  Add another person or two on the boat and it's no fun anymore.  Thinking of upgrading motor next year.