Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Round Access Hatch Covers - Sundeck 187 OB - Replacement Parts??

jlake
jlake Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
We purchased a new Sundeck 187 OB in April.  On the way home from the dealer, several of the round "caps" for the access hatches in the floor blew out of the boat.  The few we have left seem to have part of the plastic that might have helped lock them in broken off.  They do not "lock" when I try to tighten them down.

Our dealer sent me some replacement caps, but they are not the same kind...they don't fit at all.  Does anyone have any ideas where to get replacements of these caps?  I hate having a new boat, with "holes" in the deck where these caps should be.

Comments

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭

@jlake.  You'll have two options.  Get the original parts ordered from a Hurricane dealer (comes with the cover and the ring) or you'll have to measure and replace the cover/ring with an aftermarket.

I did the exact same thing with mine so I know the feeling.  Unfortunately and aftermarket cap, if that is what the dealer provided, won't work in those rings.  Good luck

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • Epavuk
    Epavuk Member Posts: 26
    I lost 2 covers in the first month I had my boat.  The dealer was great and said they're known to come off.   He suggested replacing the ring as well.  It only took a few moments to replace the ring and I haven't lost any since.  Hurricane customer service said they were aware of the problem.
  • bhilferty
    bhilferty Member Posts: 1

Where did you get the replacement ring?

• nquirk

@bhilferty You have to order them through a Hurricane dealer.

2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
  • 1pointofview
    1pointofview Member Posts: 74 ✭✭

FYI, I have had to replace one and the other 2 have been loose.  I put some lock tight on the threads and it has kept them pretty tight since.

2013 Hurricane SS188
    115 Yam
    Magic Tilt Trailer
    Hotty Toddy
  • HydroCanis
    HydroCanis Member Posts: 176 ✭✭

Interesting. My older boat's covers are so tough to unscrew that I started lubricating them. Those at the transom stick pretty fast, having real threads. Maybe I should be appreciating that.

David
    2003 Sundeck 217 OB, Yamaha 150 2 Stroke
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own." - Number 6

• nquirk
    Mine is a 2010.  I've only ever lost one because I removed it to access the bilge area and forgot to put it back in place and drove away watching the wind donate it to the bottom of the lake.  As HydroCanis mentioned, mine are quite difficult to open as the threads are quite stiff.
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
  • billyjoe
    billyjoe Member Posts: 3
    Too bad I didn't read this Forum BEFORE I drove my new 2016 SunDeck 187 home - after driving at 60-65 MPH on I75, I found one of these round covers in the stern bulkhead was gone.  I think this is the cover is used to access the bottom of the Ski Tow Bar.  Can't wait to see what the Dealer does or doesn't do for me - I wish he had warned me to tighten them up!  I almost lost the rear cushion too, I found that had lifted and flopped around in the cockpit for awhile.  Also had the new Solstice Mat lift up and half come off - found it just in time.  Never had this problem with a FunDeck 196 or a 190 Four Winns over many years of towing.  Must be the aerodynamics of the 187 shape and windshield that lifts the air up and creates a low pressure that sucks everything upward like a wing.