Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Best flag pole for Sun Deck Sport 188

gpcarroll
gpcarroll Member Posts: 5
Looking for recommendations for the best recommendations for mounting a flag pole (up to two) on the Sun Deck Sport 188.  Pictures and links to actual poles are greatly appreciated!

Comments

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    When I got my boat I was wanting to do the same thing.  I also decided it was hard for me to drill holes in my nice new boat and decided to come up with an alternative way to display flags instead of installing a flag pole bracket to the hull.  I took advantage of the bimini top short side supports as a base which only required zip ties to mount the flags.  Also, as you can see, I have my ski flag (required to use where I boat) mounted to the stern/anchor light pole.  I wrap it up with a velcro tie when not in use.  It worked for me.

2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• gpcarroll
    gpcarroll Member Posts: 5
    Great idea. What size flag did you go with?

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    They are 8" X 12" and fit very nicely on those supports.  Since the flags are exposed all season, I wanted decent quality,  The Made in USA ones I choose have held up very well, so far.  I did purchase 4 flags, I mounted 2 and stowed 2 for replacement when I need them, so far they don't need to be replaced.
    Here's where I purchased them, been a good flag source, I'm sure there are others that sell them too if you care to search:
    https://carrot-top.com/nautical-american-flag#sin=7714
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• Morkab
    Morkab Member Posts: 3
    Is the velcro tie holding up okay for you? I also once installed a flagpole on velcro tie (on the stern of the boat), after a week it fell off :(

• Morkab
    Morkab Member Posts: 3
    but I also afraid to drill a hole. So, now looking for an alternative myself... Perhaps the best option would be to take the flagpole from the car, we'll see... I also saw my friend's solar flagpole light (only he installed it in his yard), I was interested in this light bulb, so then bought the same for myself. This size is perfect for the boat too. Great stuff, especially when I put at night to the sea. I recommend that you also consider this as an additional and energy efficient light source.