Multiple problems on new to me 1991 FD196 Fish and Fun with Yamaha V4 130
Already ran a can of Sea Foam through, changed the plugs and cleaned out the on motor fuel filter element. Does not appear to have an external fuel/water separator. Gas is fresh with Stabil Marine added.
Still has the following behaviors:
1. Rough idle, eventually stalls.
2. Bogs down and sometimes stalls when coming out of the hole. Will usually hit 5000 RPM briefly, then back down to around 3500. Best described as sluggish except for one day when I went end to end at 5500 RPM.
3. Inconsistent oil use. First 60 gallons of gas only used a couple quarts of oil, then I burned 2 quarts in a Saturday. Because of the sluggishness, I have been "sightseeing" primarily at low RPM. No oil warnings of any kind and blue smoke on startup. Oil resovoir does not appear to have any water in it.
4. Terrible fuel economy. Not pulling any skiiers or anything, just tooling around the lake with my girl on the weekends and went through about 100 gallons of fuel this season. $$$
5. Primer bulb does not remain firm.
6. Speedo does not work. Already cleaned out the little hole on the lower unit.
7. Neither of two fuel gages works (needle goes from empty to full when I turn on the key)
8. Takes on water every time out. I tightened the drain plug, don't see any cracks in the hull and still get gallons of water in the bilge. Deck drains seem to work properly.
I have a new filter element on order, as well as a new prop (the old one is dinged up). Thinking I will replace the drain plug and run another can of Sea Foam through it too. Any suggestions and links would be appreciated.
- 3.7K All Categories
- 37 Hurricane Photo Gallery
- 1.5K General Discussions on Hurricane Deck Boats
- 293 General Questions on Hurricane Deck Boats
- 333 Hurricane Deck Boat Engine Discussions
- 611 Electrical System Discussions for Hurricane Deck Boats
- 15 Latest News on Hurricane Deck Boats
- 690 Hurricane Deck Boat Support
- 114 Buy & Sell Used Hurricane Deck Boats, Parts & Accessories