Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

SD 217...A couple of bilge pump questions.

Options
2»

Comments

• Azink
    Azink Member Posts: 1
    Options

Thanks everyone.  I have an 2004 SD 217 & the automatic stopped working.  

I was near to following some of the other steps you guys learned above, but now will look for the fuse near the battery first.  I was wondering about that bracket.  It is huge considering the application.  How long are the transom screws.

Wish me luck.

• waterboy
    waterboy Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    Options

I also wish you luck .  My three year old boat bilge only works on manual but fortunately for me i have the most awesome Newfie neighbour who automatically comes over and lifts the top and flips the switch after a rain. I will also look for the fuse.  It broke after year 1.

He also usually has extra beer when I run out and tree of everything else.  Life at the cottage wouldn't be the same without him and his wife.

ss 188 ob

175 E-tec

• bowens124
    bowens124 Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Have a 2010 hurricane looking for in line fuse. Brand new bilge pump and float switch.pump only works from switch on dash. Wired correctly.any help would be appreciated 
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you're looking to "buy" an in-line fuse and holder, here's a link to iboats (other on-line suppliers have them as well) to purchase one, I personally prefer the ATO/ATC styles.  5 amp should do it, that's what your dash mount circuit breaker for the bilge pump should be:

http://www.iboats.com/Inline-Fuse-Holder-Sea-Dog-Line/dm/cart_id.117752142--session_id.164079037--view_id.1184423

If you are trying to "find" the in-line fuse, it will be on the wire going from the battery to the float/actuator switch which is usually brown with a white or yellow stripe.  It is probably located by the battery.

Hope this helps, let us know how you make out.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• ggibson2007
    ggibson2007 Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Fantastic simplified wiring diagram!  Thank you, cjjjdeck.  I had a long conversation with a customer service rep a few years ago, and gave up trying to find out if the dash switch bypassed the float switch. There it is on the diagram!  What a revelation.  Now I just need to find a way to wire in an indicator light on the negative cable from the battery to the pump so I can see when it's running.
  • Dave
    Dave Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    Options
    I see this is a really old subject but I will interject my experience with the pump in my SD217. I have the I/O and the pump is located very accessible in the engine bay on the center rib which is about .7" above the bottom of the hull. I used to experience about 5-6 inches of water in the bilge as the back of the boat was exposed to the weather and water would get in through the battery access hatch. I would run the pump manually whenever I was at the boat and it would take maybe 15 to 20 min to pump out the water. I accidently left the pump on for maybe a week and the pump melted down due to running dry. I purchased a new pump with float which seems to work fine except the float won't turn the pump on until there is about an inch above the rib the pump is mounted on. I have tested the float by adding water to the bilge via a hose and a considerable amount of water has to be added before the pump turns on. I have since moved the boat to a new slip that keeps the boat under full cover so it is not much on issue anymore. Another observation I have is the float location is not the lowest point of the hull when at rest, I think the low point on my boat at rest with fuel is about midship where there is no access, therefore the only way to remove all the water is on a trailer thru the drain plug. Sorry about being so windy.
    Dave :)