Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

How to install bow trolling motor on a SD 187 OB?

Options
MichelBee
MichelBee Member Posts: 33 ✭✭

Hi Everybody,

I'm hunting for suggestions on how and where to install my trolling motor on my 2012 187OB. Based on the info I got here (and Iboats forum) I purchased a Minn-Kota Terrova 80lbs with Ipilot. I also got the quick release bracket (mka-21).

I'm hoping people have pictures of their installation that they would be willing to share.

My plan right now is to install it going straight back a little off center so I don't block the step in front and also minimize the impact on the front platform. Any problem with this setup?

How did you deal with the overhang? My other boats were always aluminum.

Does Hurricane have a suggested method of installation?

Should I put a plywood backing to reenforce the install or the fender washers are enough?

I know it's a lot of questions and sure hope I can pay it forward once I get more familiar with this type of boat.

Thanks

BTW How can I set a post to answered?

Comments

• Capt_Steve
    Capt_Steve Member Posts: 416 admin
    Options
    Hey Michel...I'll put this in front of a Hurricane engineer as well. When someone answers your post (like now), you will see a new option to select as "Answered" or if there's more than one..."Best Answer". Good luck!
  • MNDaveC
    MNDaveC Member Posts: 24
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I used a MinnKota RTA-17 mount which says it is for RipTide models (because it is white in color), but has the same hole pattern as the MKA-21. I'd suggest you also consider the WHITE riptipde mount instead of the black MKA mounts... looks much better.

My installer had to use some spacers under that RTA-17 so that it would be higher than the lip on the front of the bow... He had a heck of a time reaching through the anchor locker to get the nuts on the bottom of the RTA's mounting bolts. 

Here are some pics of the install on my SS203 OB... The power outlet is in the anchor locker.

My only issue is that the trolling motor blocks one side of my bow nav light... I may replace my bow light with a removable pole bow light to protrude above the trolling motor.

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have the exact same model Terrova with a 60" shaft installed on my boat using a MKA-32 quick mount.  You're going to love the iPilot!  I must say, the white Riptide bracket sure does look good on MNDaveC's boat!

I believe your navigation lights are separate and mounted on the port and starboard sides of your boat, so the trolling motor shouldn't interfere with their operation.  As a rule of thumb you should try to mount the motet as close to the point of the bow as it makes sense to do so so the motor performs well..  My motor does overhang the bow a bit to accomplish this.  The dealer that installed it used 5 out of the 6 mounting bolts with good size flat and lock washers under the hull surface and it is rock solid. 

I have trouble posting pictures here on this forum because I don't use a web/cloud based location for my pictures.  If you send me a personal message I'll be more than happy to e-mail you the pics (there's four of them).

You've picked a great trolling motor!

2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• Capt_Steve
    Capt_Steve Member Posts: 416 admin
    Options
    Thanks cjjj! BTW...you should see a link at the lower left of the box you type in your post that says "Attach File." That's the way you can post pics directly inside your comment. Let me know if you don't see that. Some folks have had to empty their browser cache for some reason.

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Here is a great thread that ErnestT, cjjjdeck, myself and a bunch of other contributors had last year on this topic on the iboats forums.  Great to repost as it has pics and some very useful information on some Hurricane installations

http://forums.iboats.com/hurricane-deck-boats/need-help-sizing-trolling-motor-543217.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • MichelBee
    Options

Sorry it took a while to get back here.  I got busy on other projects.  I will post pictures once it's done.

@MNDaveC.  I noticed that you made a couple of holes in the mount. I'm assuming this thing is a solid piece of plastic.  Right now with my plan I can get 3 of the 4 screws in but the last I will relocate. 

Thanks everybody.

• MNDaveC
    MNDaveC Member Posts: 24
    Options
    There were no additional holes made to the MinnKota mount on mine. It is solid plastic/vinyl, kind of like the recycled plastic material they use for playground equipment. Shouldn't be too hard to drill new holes through.

I'd probably suggest using the mount as a model for a matching backplate to give support under the deck where you'd bolt it down.
  • MichelBee
    Options

I finally got time to put the motor on the boat and take it out for a spin.

I went with my original plan of going straight back a little of center so I didn't block the step in. (I will post some pictures next time I get the motor on the boat.)

I placed the batteries (2 group 27 deep cycle) and on-board charger in the port side compartment but I'm having a listing problem now. The layout basically favors people sitting on that side. So when we load up you can feel it. It's not a major but it is annoying.

I didn't place the batteries under the starboard console because I didn't think mixing battery gases with all the electrical on the console was a good idea. Even If did that, I would probably have the listing when the boat had a light load.

I was wondering where people were placing their batteries to avoid this issue? The 187OB has space for batteries on the starboard side of the bilge but no access so I can't place the batteries in the back.

Are you guys using the ski locker or somewhere else?

• nquirk
    Options
    I've placed mine on my SS188 right next to the existing starting battery.  have no listing issues.
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
  • MichelBee
    Options

In the better late than never category, I finally have the pictures of my setup for the trolling motor.

The motor works great and provides enough power. I have to agree with others that have posted, the I-Pilot is money well spent.

imageimageimage
  • nquirk
    Options
    @MichelBee, it looks fantastic...great job
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
  • cjjjdeck
    Options
    Awesome job MichaelBee!  Thanks for post some more trolling motor pics, I'm sure they will be a big help to others.

• RichardD
    RichardD Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks, I have a new 226 fundeck with the chairs. I'm putting on a minnkota 80# thrust, 60 inch shaft and I'm interested in where I should install it.
  • caseycherish08
    caseycherish08 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    My SS 188 OB came with the fishing package that has the prewire for the motor. I bought the Riptide 70SP 54" with ipilot. Looking at all the pictures its hard to tell exactly....but can any tell me in inches how far over the bracket must be? I am using the RTA-17 quick release for the riptides. my guess is the mounting puck is as close to the edge as you can get it??? But i saw one picture where the guy said he was only able to use 3 holes. That seems scary. any help on my specific model would be greatly appreciated. 
  • cjjjdeck
    Options
    RichardD said:
    Thanks, I have a new 226 fundeck with the chairs. I'm putting on a minnkota 80# thrust, 60 inch shaft and I'm interested in where I should install it.
    Although my model is the SunDeck Series, I do have the dual fishing chairs mounted on the front deck similar to yours.  I also had the fishing package installed on my boat so the trolling motor plug is located under the starboard fishing seat.  I did have to overhang my MKA-32 quick release bracket a bit over the bow to properly position the motor.  5 out of the 6 mounting bolts were used and the mount is very sturdy.  I used this mount because it had a bigger footprint as I knew I would have to mount it overhung.

Here's a link to a thread that shows pictures of my install: