Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Livewell in GS201

deltahotel
deltahotel Member Posts: 7

Hello,

I am wondering if someone can tell me if I have a livewell on my 2004 Hurricane GS201. I have the switch which seems to be wired up and hooked to something and when I turn the switch on it lights up. I looked through the boat and can not find anything that seems like it is pumping when I turn it on. I thought it was up forward between the two front benchs but that seems to be a self draining cooler. Any help would be appreciated.

Also, my storage area bin under the front right bench is "calling down". It seems the seams have let go so only 3/4 is attached. Is there an easy fix for this?  

Thanks

Comments

• Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    If it looks something like this:  image

Then its a livewell.  I think it depends on what options were installed on the original boat as to whether it is actually plumbed or not.  On some of the models you have to get the "Fishing Package" option to get the livewell plumbed and set up, otherwise, you basically just have a cooler, or storage area.  You can look in the bilge area to see if you have 2 lines (one entering for the fill, and one exiting for the drain).  The pump will be on the fill line, and you should hear it run when you flip that switch.

I can't help you with the storage area.
    2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner
  • deltahotel
    deltahotel Member Posts: 7
    Hmmm, thanks. I have that but with no stand pipe. I guess it was not plumbed.
  • nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    @deltahotel, even without the standpipe, do you get water spraying into that area?

The switch will light up (its simply the light in toggle switch) and even the boats without a livewell have that switch in the standard cluster.

However, Ernest T is right.  You should have 2 lines in/out for this purpose.

A quick check is looking in your bilge.  You'll see your bilge pump, but do you see two of them?  If you see a second one, its most likely your livewell pump.  
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • six50joe
    six50joe Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    I have the same question and observations, but for a 1998 Fundeck 232 I bought 4 years ago.  Per the the brochure from then, there was an optional freshwater washdown.  I had assumed that my boat did not have this option installed, and based on the comments here that assumption is probably true.

What seemed strange to me though is that in the compartment below the sink, there is a translucent plastic hose coming through the left wall with nothing at the end of it, but I haven't been able to find a way to trace where it sources from.  But more conspicuously, there was an actual washdown hose in the front of this compartment not connected to anything.  Doesn't quite make sense. 

From what I've heard a water tank would have been installed in the starboard "rear" part of the boat, but looks like it isn't.

The below picture is taken of the bilge area from inside the battery access hatch.  Speaking of the bilge, it never ran automatically.  If I flip the rocker switch, it stays on whether there is water to pump or not.  Is this a malfunction?   I'd really like to get an auto pump, as we sometimes get nasty storms while I'm away.  

1998 Fundeck 232
    1198 150hp Johnson Oceanrunner (J150EXECD)
  • nquirk

@six50joe, I can't speak to the freshwater wash down but I can certainly help you with your bilge pump.

Its not completely clear in the picture however I believe you have both a bilge pump and float switch.

The bilge pump (yellow in your pic) is wired direct to the bilge switch.  This switch has a common ground and a switched power.  In the 'ON' position, the pump will run continuously regardless of water levels in the bilge.  It's unaware and will stay on constant until you switch it off.

The second half of the equation is a float switch (the red object in your picture I believe).  Note it has two brown wires coming from it.  The BROWN will run to the main wiring harness and inline with the pump.  The BROWN STRIPPED (most likely brown/red) sits inline to a constant power.  When the water level rises, it turns on the float switch, completing the circuit and turning on the pump until the water level drops and it switches off.

Two problems normally with float switches.  One, they fail.  Not uncommon, but before you replace it start with the second more common problem.  In line that runs to the brown/red I mentioned is usually a fuse.  (4A or 5A)  Find this (most likely attached near the battery (one of the smaller wires coming off the battery with a fuse holder on it).  Open it, check fuse and most likely it will be heavily corroded.

Good luck

2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
  • six50joe
    nquirk, thanks for the very helpful info.  Unfortunately for me, it's not the fuse because I recently installed a dual battery setup (start / house).  There was one inline fuse on a red wire.  I'm not sure which component it's for because I can't trace it far enough, but it was intact.  I suppose then it has to be the float switch or maybe a disconnected or corroded wire.  Either way, I'm not looking forward to climbing in through that tiny hatch again to find the problem, which seems to be made for pixie mechanics.

1998 Fundeck 232
  • nquirk
    @six50joe.... I agree with your assessment on the difficulties getting there.  Remember that all that factory harness is laid down before the hull cap goes on the boat so it's much easier for them.   And, in my case, the stuff added after was simplified by having no outboard installed.  Once the cap is on and the engine is mounted, the work is near impossible without skinny 6ft arms.
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
  • six50joe
    Makes one wonder whether it was an oversight that maintenance would need to be done down there on occasion, or a way to discourage DIYers from doing it :)

It recently had to get down there to replace the fuel sender, almost got stuck inside,  This looks like a significantly worse job :(
    1998 Fundeck 232
  • MM5056Williston
    MM5056Williston Member Posts: 12
    I have a 2003 SD217 and need to replace the bilge/p and live well/pump how in the world do you get to them? My live well pump is way to right in six50joes picture any help or pictures would be appreciated.