Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Bilge Pump clogged on 2007 FD GS202

Txmat
Txmat Member Posts: 17
I have recently purchased a 2007 Fun Deck GS202 with outboard, and have a bilge pump question.  We have has some heavy rains and when I opened the center floor compartment I found about 5 inches of water with some debris.  I manually turned on the bilge pump and water came out the side of the boat.  The water stopped when the level got down to about 2 inches.  I could still hear the pump running, but no water was coming out.  I assumed the line was clogged and I tried blowing it out and also using a plumbers snake to try to clear the line.  Neither worked.  I would like to examine the bilge pump to see if it needs cleaning, but can't seem to find it.  Where is it located on this boat and how do I remove it for cleaning?  Is there anything else I can do? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Txmat
    OK, I found the bilge pump.  It is at the lowest point on the floor of the compartment right in front of the motor. 
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Glad you found it and thanks for the update!  The bottom of the pump usually has a screen or molded in slots of some sort that filters the water and that can get clogged with debris.  Often the pump motor can be separated from the pump housing in order to reveal the impeller.  You may want to try to do that in case the impeller is broken and not spinning. 
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• Txmat
    Thanks. I will check that.  Do you know if the auto float switch is integral to the pump or external?
  • cjjjdeck
    The one on my boat has an external switch from the pump.  It is a Johnson pump with an Ultima switch.  The switch uses a Mirus field effect to activate when the water level in the bilge exceeds 2" of depth, no manual float, the switch is completely sealed from water/debris intrusion. 

Here's a picture, the switch is on the left.  Maybe you have the same thing?:

• Txmat
    Thanks the photo helps a lot.  My pump looks similar and while the switch looks a little different, I think it probably functions the same because I do not see a float attached.  My pump like yours has those tabs on top.  In order to check the impeller and to clear debris do I use those tabs to twist and unlock the pump so it can be pulled up?  If not how do I remove it to examine it?  Finally to get rid of the last 2" of water is there a drain are do I have to bail it out?
  • cjjjdeck
    I've attached the manual for these types of pumps.  There is a black plastic lever located on the side of the pump body that you have to apply pressure to which unlocks the upper pump motor assembly so you can turn it and remove it from the main housing.  If that makes sense.....

You have a drain plug (made of brass) located on the lower section of the transom area (go to the transom, bend over and look "under" the boat to see it).  That allows most remaining water to flow out.

• Txmat
    Thanks. You have answered my questions.  I appreciate your sharing your knowledge.