Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

SD 2400 Gas Cap Breaking Off Easily

PetersonT
PetersonT Member Posts: 1
I have had my brand new boat for 3 weeks and already have lost two gas caps due to very minor bumps during docking and storage.  The chrome cap even came off in my hand just when trying to open the cap.  I have seen other similar postings in your blogs.  This is obviously a poor quality design and deserves a recall with replacement caps that correct this issue.  Is Hurricane addressing this issue in any way?  I do not want to keep replacing the cap with the same, shoddy design.  If there is not a better option from Hurricane, can you tell me the size and specifications that I should look for in purchasing a fill cap from another manufacturer?  Can I submit that cost to Hurricane for reimbursement under the warranty?

Comments

• ralphhwalker
    ralphhwalker Member Posts: 6
    I just picked up my new boat this weekend and have yet to put it in the water, but I would like to replace the stock gas cap with a locking gas cap. For this reason I too would be interested in the size/specifications of replacement caps.
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you definitely need to contact your dealer regarding this condition with the caps.  They can contact Hurricane and address the issue. 
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• dolfan1967
    dolfan1967 Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    I too have had my chrome gas cap come off three times...luckily all were at the dock while trailering, I recovered the cap each time and got to practice my snorkling. Funny how the cap always ends up shiny-side down. I do also agree this is a poor design. Having the gas cap, and water cap for that matter, at some kind of angle and/or relocated to the top of the boat. I have even tried to come up w/ some sort of tethering contraption, so when it happens again, the cap will not fall into the water.

2013 SD 2200 DC
    Yamaha 150 four-stroke
    Lowrance Elite-4 HDI
    Bow Cushion
    WindStorm trailering cover (tailored for bimini frame)
    Venture Tandem Bunk Trailer
  • nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting.  Mine has a chain on it (SS188), similar to the chain used on the drain plug in a sink so that it won't fall if dropped or knocked off. 
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • cjjjdeck
    Sometime in 2013 fuel fill designs had to be changed due to new EPA fuel system standards that got implemented to the boating industry.  A number of original suppliers for fuel fills and fuel fill caps decided to get out of the business altogether.  I think this left the boat manufacturers with very limited resources in obtaining a fuel fill/cap that met the new standard.  I have a cap similar to what nquirk has and it's solid metal, so my 2012 slipped in under the wire.  I know Hurricane is aware of the issue, although I'm not sure what they can do about it.  The best thing you can probably do right now is to go to your dealer and have them contact Hurricane with the problem.

I've not seen these caps up close.  Can the cover be put back on with some kind of adhesive or will that impede how it operates?

• dolfan1967
    dolfan1967 Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    No pic. The chrome cover snaps onto the plastic gas cap and is held in place by a few clips. The gas cap does have a chain tether, but if you are unlucky enough to brush the cap to a post, the two will separate quite easily. 
    2013 SD 2200 DC
    Yamaha 150 four-stroke
    Lowrance Elite-4 HDI
    Bow Cushion
    WindStorm trailering cover (tailored for bimini frame)
    Venture Tandem Bunk Trailer
  • cpufixer1
    cpufixer1 Member Posts: 54 ✭✭

My problem with the gas cap is that it sticks out too far and just past the rub rail. So when docking, sometimes the poles hit the cap. It's just a matter of time before it rips off. Also looking a solution.

2014 SD 2000

• bailey8331
    bailey8331 Member Posts: 3
    I have an ongoing problem with the chrome cover falling off. My dealer tells me Hurricane is not looking for a "fix", don't know what to do about it, but he is supposed to continue to give me replacement caps until the 1 yr warranty expires... then $60 per cap. They should have recessed the area when designed. It needs some kind of protection or this will never end!
  • djcc2012
    djcc2012 Member Posts: 3

I have the same problem with the cap on my 2014 SD2400.  I am on my second cap.  The first one broke, one of the clips snapped off.  The second one just keeps coming off in my hand.  I am afraid it will drop off when I am moving so I take it off and put in the boat then put it on when fueling. You cannot open/close the cap without the chrome part as it is too sharp, unless you wear a leather glove!  

I am very disappointed with Hurricane and Perko for supplying such a poor quality product.   

• cjjjdeck
    Couldn't agree with you more on the design by Perko.  unfortunately there's not much choice of suppliers for this product right now from what I understand.  I guess we can thank the EPA.  

I asked this question before and didn't get a response, so I'll ask it again.
    Not having a reliable solution right now, could the chrome cover be glued/epoxied to the plastic base and not have it impede operation?

• djcc2012

cjjjdeck asked if the gas cap could be glued, etc.  It is a "clicky" type cap, like on a car, so that you do not over tighten.  Gluing would remove that feature, but it might not matter. 

However, that would probably not resolve the issue of the cap getting smashed.  The real problem is not the cap, tho it certainly adds to the overall issue.  The real problem is that the filler tube where the cap attaches sticks out from the side of the boat by an inch at the base.  This leaves the cap very exposed to even a glancing side hit. 

Attached is a picture of the filler tube with the plastic cap, minus the chrome top.

• cjjjdeck
    Thanks for the response djcc2012!  I was afraid that they went to a ratcheting "car-like" design, but I was hoping maybe the exterior cosmetic cap section might match up to a base that adhesive could be used that wouldn't impede the ratcheting action, oh well.

With the exception of mooring the boat on the port side (I know, I don't like doing that either, I like keeping the dock on my helm side too), I'm out of ideas for a temporary fix.  I will keep this subject alive at the factory and maybe another vendor will come up with a better design eventually.

• djcc2012

Yes, we could moor on port, but filling up gas tank still has to be on starboard. 

As I noted, cap is not the only problem.  The factory needs to figure out how to get the fill tube recessed so that a cap can fit and still be flush with the side.  Those of us who paid our money for a great boat need help now. 

Thanks!

• jonkorin
    jonkorin Member Posts: 1
    What is the Perko Model Number for  replacement gas cap for the newer EPA compliant  1 1/2 in. caps?     I have a 2014 SD2000.    I have the same complaint about the protruding cap.   Hurricane should at least make it easier to find/order replacement parts.
  • TREIFEL
    TREIFEL Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2016 SD2400. The chrome cover on the gas cap fell off so I purchased a new Perko 0540DPG99A from Wholesale Marine. The web site said the cap was to be used for vented and non-vented fuel systems. After receipt the package says DO NOT use on boat with EPA Compliant fuel systems. Does anyone know if a vented cap will damage the boat?