Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Panel (ChartPlotter) upgrade questions for 2486

Hi All:
  As posted in the “show it off” section, we now have our new 2486.  And I’m already looking at changes to make it better for us.  Primarily, we (ok, I, as my wife really does not care) want to replace the smallish 6” Garmin 64cv that came installed in the panel.  This unit is already discontinued and I really want a touch screen unit.
  Ideally I’d like to put the 10” Garmin EchoMap Ultra 106sv in it’s place.  But it does not look like that will fit between the round gauges on each side of the panel.  The 9” Garmin UHD 93sv will fit, but it’s screen resolution is 2/3s less than the 103sv.  
  I think if I can find a piece of the panel material, I can lay out a new panel with the round gauges nudged outward enough to fit the 103sv in between them.  I’ll be at the boat later today, with installation templates, to remeasure and confirm what might be able to fit.  But in the interim, does anyone know where I might purchase a blank panel?  Or find the panel material so I can cut my own?
Thanks and happy boating, Steve.

Comments

• MadMadHoosier
    MadMadHoosier Member Posts: 14
    Well, never-mind.  The templates showed even if I were able to scoot the round gauges outward, the height of the 103sv will prevent it from fitting.  The 93sv will fit without any Herculean efforts, so despite the lower resolution, I guess that is where I’m going.

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Pays to do a little research.  Those templates tell the story.  Also, the thinner the dash panel gets between mounted components and nearer to mounting screws an opening gets you run the risk of cracking the helm panel due to the stresses of a boat underway.  I'm sure that is why Hurricane maxed out with the size unit they did.  Make sure you radius the corners of your opening to minimize the opportunity for cracks.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• MadMadHoosier
      I'll do that on rounding the corners.  And it seems the 9" will mount "more solidly" than the 6".  After pulling the 6" out for a look, the fiberglass rim (or perimeter) that the dash panel screws into, is just ever so slightly bigger than the height of the 9" unit.  So while the unit will fit through a new/larger hole in the panel, without requiring cutting the fiberglass, the mounting screws of the unit will actually screw into the significantly stronger fiberglass.  I'm sure that will take some pressure off the panel itself, which is relatively thin.
      Now I need to see how hard it will be to replace the old transducer with the new side-vu transducer to make my final decision on the swap.  Then how much trouble it would be to take advantage of some additional 9" capabilities.  Apparently I could get a harness that would display Yamaha gauge information on the Garmin, and also somehow control the Fusion entertainment system.  Another person suggested relocating the old 6" unit and making it part of a network that might further include VHF and AIS.  
      I'm sure I'll end up somewhere between doing nothing and doing it all. :D  The main attraction is getting a touch screen and bigger screen.  The other stuff may not be as important to me, but I welcome any comments. 
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    If you think of it, maybe you can post some pictures of the process along the way to share!
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• MadMadHoosier
    Quick update. All my research shows the Garmin 943XSV is the most feature packed and largest size chartplotting MFD that will fit in my dash. On back order from West Marine like so many other post COVID products. When I finally get around to the install, I try to remember to post som pics. 
  • MadMadHoosier
    edited September 2021
      Sorry I did not take pictures along the way, but here is the final result with the GPSMAP 943xsv.  Fairly straightforward install, with the only issue getting the caulk out of the transom hole where the old transponder cable made its way outside.  Apparently the original installer used 3M 5200 sealant/adhesive and boy is it TOUGH!  Took me an hour with an exacto knife and needle nose plyers to get it out without damaging the old transducer cable.  West Marine recommended going back in with 4200 sealant - if there was a chance of another upgrade down the road - so that is what I did.  

Once the cable was free of the sealant, I tied a string to the plug end before I pulled the cable out of the boat.  Then used that string to pull the new GT54UHD-TM transducer cable back into the boat.  I considered the GT56UHD-TM transducer, but for the shallow water I frequent around Crystal River, Florida, the 54 was recommended.

Then used the template to layout the new hole, drill the four corners, and cut the horizontal and vertical lines with a Dewalt Oscillating Multi-tool.  Made a bit of a mess with statically charged plastic chips everywhere, but they will clean up eventually.

Now I need to play with, and learn all the new features.  But the touchscreen and larger image is already appreciated!