Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Replacing Bilge Hose, Deck Plate Access

I was replacing Bilge pump when hose literally snapped off, now it’s too short to reach replacement pump.

The hose attaches to a thru hull that seems impossible to get to.  I took the cooler storage bin out to snap pic, but it’s too tight to fit back there.  

Only thing I can think of is to put a deck plate in the other pic where the ladder folds up.  I am concerned that maybe putting one here might decrease the ladder usability (not be strong enough to support ladder.  But this space is pretty close to the thru hull for bilge pump (and would let me tighten the ladder bolts).

is that gonna work, what are some other options?

this is a 2001 232gs outboard

Comments

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Deck plates are the most often solution, especially for outboard models that limit under deck access.

Thanks for posting pictures, they are always a BIG help!
    Looking at the molded structure of the ladder attachment area, I don't think a deck plate in that location will compromise it.  If it were me and I needed access to that hull fitting I wouldn't have a problem doing it.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• seldisplaced
    seldisplaced Member Posts: 7
    Just wanted to update.  I went ahead and did this.  Perfect access to bilge hose and also bonus I was able to access bolts for ladder to replace with 4 step.

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    And that's the way it's done!  Thanks for updating and posting the pictures!
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• rdcastle
    rdcastle Member Posts: 100 ✭✭✭
    That's the same fix I ended up with. You installed a 4 inch plate I assume. I didn't think I could squeeze a 6 inch plate in there. I also would like one more step on my aft boarding ladder!
    Rob Castle
    2001 Hurricane GS201 FD
    Yamaha 150 V6 2 Stroke, Oil Injection
  • mks
    mks Member Posts: 46
    Nicely done. Thanks for sharing. Good call on the four step ladder.
  • mks
    mks Member Posts: 46
    Can you tell me where you got the ladder and or part #? Thanks
  • kbmiddle
    kbmiddle Member Posts: 3
    How did you cut such a smooth circular hole?  Did you use a hole saw?
  • BFresh
    BFresh Member Posts: 2
    My ladder is loose.  I have a scope that allows me to get up in there to see and it looks like there are nuts with teflon that could be tightened, but I can't figure out how to get all the way up in there!  Any ideas other than cutting a hole like you did?