Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Replacement Helm (Dash) Panels

Comments

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    I would contact them and ask the question regarding bending.  Callforbids, one of our forum members, had work done by them and posted some pics of what they did for him.  Here's the link:

http://hurricaneboats.vanillaforums.com/discussion/1744/replacement-dash-panels
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• caseynettles
    caseynettles Member Posts: 69 ✭✭

Got my new panels in today...just in time for the weekend to install whhoohoo!!!  AD&D did them and they look really nice, I will report back with how they fit.

• caseynettles

ok here is the final result, I think it turned out pretty good.

• cjjjdeck
    Wow, looks really great, and keeps the boat looking young!

• DavidPJ
    DavidPJ Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
    caseynettles, those panels look great! I've been talking to AD&D and although they were quick to respond with pricing, I can't seem to get them to send me a picture of a finished panel so I can see at least the copper color. I'm not quite sure of the color of your panels. Is it one of their standard colors or a custom color?
    1999 Fundeck GS-201, Teal, Honda 200HP
  • caseynettles
    The color I chose is dark bronze(has tiny sparkles) which they stated is very popular for these panels...probably the closest color match to the original "wood" panels as you can see with my original switch panel.  The new panels are glossy by nature because they paint the backside.  Also of note, the panels are obviously not factory but are VERY close to factory specs so some minor alignment with original screw holes has to be expected.  The recessed screw holes on the panels are a nice touch and was unexpected.  They will punch out only the gauge holes you request.  I have factory Faria gauges which are I believe 3 1/8 inch for the large gauges and 2 1/8 inch for the smaller ones, the panels are punched out with 3" and 2" holes which I had to use some coarse sandpaper to get my gauges to fit, no big deal really the plastic is soft.  When replacing the panels it is an opportune time to inspect, clean and/or repair any wiring that is behind the panels.  By the way....delivery took ~two weeks.

Hope this helps.
  • DavidPJ
    Thanks caseynettles. This gives me a much better idea of what to expect if I order the panels. My boat panels are still in good condition but I'm considering ordering these as spares. AD&D can also provide the windshield.
  • cvascel
    cvascel Member Posts: 13 ✭✭

Well I went ahead and contacted AD&D regarding some new dash panels.  Apparently they did not have the plans for my 2004 SD 187 so I ended up sending them my old ones which were cracked and discolored.  They told me that they could create the template with my old ones as long as I sent it in. 

They received my old panels on a Monday and I received the old ones back along with the new ones exactly 9 days later. 

I chose to go with the copper colored which is the color Isabella said was closest to the wood grain color from the factory (no longer wood color because of fading).  The new panels were flat and did not have the same molded in contours where the gauges are, however, I knew this would be the case because of previous posts.  Prior to installing I put self adhesive black edge trim on the edge of the new panels similar to what was on the factory panels (purchased at O’Reilly’s Automotive).  During installation on the boat I found that most of the holes that they cut out were spot on for the gauges.  Only two of the mounting holes lined up to the holes in the helm; nothing a small drill bit didn’t fix.  The installation was pretty easy since the panels are pretty flexible.  I will say that having the edge trim made a big difference with getting the edges nice and snug against the fiberglass. 

Here are some images of old and new.  Hopefully the angles I got provide a good indication of the color since it is difficult to get color samples.

I also replaced the gauges and switch actuators. 

Old One

Left = Old, Right = New

I am very happy with the communication and product of AD&D and would definitely use them in the future.

• cjjjdeck
    Wow, that helm really looks great!  Thanks for posting the before and after pictures!

• DavidPJ
    Those panels look really good! Are you planning on applying letters to identify the circuit breakers?
  • cvascel
    Yes, I plan on labeling the breakers as soon as I figure out the best way to do it.  I want it to look neat and was hoping I could find a small stencil which would allow me to use paint with a small brush. I'm just not sure I could find a stencil small enough and I'm not sold on the idea.  I don't want to use labels because they wont last long.  I thought about using a paint pen and doing it by hand but I'm not thrilled with that idea either.  

Any suggestions?

Chris
  • DavidPJ
    edited August 2015
    Since those panels are so beautiful, and you can ID the breakers from the old panel, I think I would just leave it unmarked. Keep the old panel and take a picture of it and file it away for later ID if needed. It's great that you have the labeling on the new switches.
  • HydroCanis
    HydroCanis Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    Not sure how to find someone, but I think the ideal solution would be to have someone with a laser cutter burn the lettering 1/32" or so deep and then saturate the area with white paint and wipe off that which didn't go into the letters. Then the letters wouldn't be subject to being rubbed off.
    David
    2003 Sundeck 217 OB, Yamaha 150 2 Stroke
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own." - Number 6

• HydroCanis
    HydroCanis Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    Oh, I wasn't thinking... pretty sure you don't want to remove the panel again!
    David
    2003 Sundeck 217 OB, Yamaha 150 2 Stroke
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own." - Number 6

• cvascel
    I wouldn't be opposed to removing the panel again.  The breakers are pretty easy since you don't have to disconnect any wires.  Like DavidPJ suggested, I think I might just leave them unmarked and keep a laminated diagram of the locations.