Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

hurricane recall notice

sullmate
sullmate Member Posts: 108 ✭✭
Just got a letter from Godfrey Marine about a recall on all Hurricane 187 SDS and 188 SDS outboard boats built between September 2015 and November 3, 2017. Seems these boats do not comply with US  Coast Guard flotation requirements ! This makes me wonder about quality control at Godfrey. I already had to bring my 188 back for 5 gel coat blisters ( a quarter size) on the lower transon after 1 season of use. 
Please comment !

Comments

• Foxjamin
    Foxjamin Member Posts: 5
    I was just notified of the recall by the previous owner, I’m the second owner.  However, when I tried emailing Godfrey Marine at the recommended email the email bounced back because lack of address.  ownersupport@hurricaneboats.com does not work..   
  • fdcline
    fdcline Member Posts: 6
    I too just received my recall on the floatation issue. Need to get with my dealer and schedule the recall(probably towards end of season).2011 SS188OB. Just had a transom gel coat blister also, fixed it myself though.
  • KWToller
    KWToller Member Posts: 3
    Can you give me more info on the recall? I purchased our boat used, so I am thinking I may not get notified.  We have a 2011 187 OB. Thanks
  • cpufixer1
    cpufixer1 Member Posts: 54 ✭✭

Is this guys ?

Number

17CG111S MIC:GDY
    Company:GODFREY MARINE CO Company Official:PLC
    Model Name:SDS 188 OB, SD 187 OB Model Year:2009-16
    Problem 1:   
    Problem 2:   
    HINGDY37459I617 Case Open Date:9/28/2017
    Disposition:OPEN Case Close Date:
    Units4047 Campaign Open Date6/18/2018
    Boat Type11 Campaign Close Date
    Severity:H Last Date:6/18/2018
    Comments: 
    Flotation Test For Persons Capacity- FAILEDStability Test (Starboard)- FAILEDStability Test (Port)- FAILED Mailed 10/5/17 w dnr/cur- CC 10/19/17 rec cert ml rec.-CC111417 - MNF RETESTED CORRECTED BOAT THEMSELVES. WILL SCHEDULE REPAIR IN RBTF AND RETEST IN RBTF TO CONFIRM COMPLIANCE. FINALIZING DN LETTERS AND REPAIR PROCEDURES.122217 - MNF SUBM MODIFIED PLAN TO ADD FLOTATION. WILL DELIVER BOAT FOR RETEST. PLC. 2/9/18 mailed passing retest, DNR/CUR-CC022718 - MNF WILL RETEST AT THEIR FACILITY ADDITIONAL FOAM TO ENSURE IT WILL ALSO COMPLY WITH THE UPCOMING S-30 WEIGHTS.3/15/18 rec cert mail receipt-CC040618 - MNF WILL CORRECT BOAT IN RBTF FOR RETEST.061118 - MNF SUBM DNL, BUT LANGUAGE NEEDS CORRECTION BEFORE MAILING. NO DNR YET.061818 - DNR DNL RCVD. REPAIR KIT INSTALLS 4 CU FT FLOTATION FOAM TO STBD AND 2.5 CU FT TO PORT STERN AREA.
  • vetteldy76
    vetteldy76 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    I too received a letter from Godfrey on my 2016 Hurricane. I called my local dealer down here in the Florida Keys. They are washing their hands of the recall and gave me a number for someone who is handling the recall as a 3rd party for Godfrey. I have emailed and spoken to him but nothing as far as a time frame here. I live on the water and want to boat the rest of the summer but it sounds like this is serious and you should not be driving this boat at all. I just sent another email tonight telling them that this is unacceptable and I need a time frame.
  • fundeck19
    fundeck19 Member Posts: 5
    I live in Key West and I also have a 187 SD which I bought at Unique Marine in the Keys...They will not help with the recall...I have called Terry Gipson at Godfrey and after weeks and several calls she finally gave me the name of Doug Rhomberger as the man in charge of the recall flotation repair...325-864-5910 is his number...I just received a text from him saying that he hopes to address my issue at the end of August...Over two weeks ago he said he would do it this week...I'm very angry! Do we have any recourse? 305-292-5974
  • steddyfretter
    steddyfretter Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    This is interesting and very disturbing at the same time. We must be talking about hundreds of boats that are involved here. I have had my 187 OB since I bought it new in 2014. How come it took 4 years to decide that there is insufficient flotation foam installed on this particular model and if so, how did these boats pass the original Coast Guard certification process? My dealer NJ Outboards has been notified that I received the letter and has ordered the foam kit but it bothers me that I paid big bucks for a new boat that was supposedly certified properly and safe to operate, used it regularly in the sometimes rough Barnegat Bay all these years thinking that, and now they are telling me that it isn't. Good thing it didn't get swamped and sunk by some yahoo in a bigger boat flying past at full speed. Kinda reduces my faith in the manufacturer's original quality control processes. What else did they miss the mark on I wonder?
  • fundeck19
    It has been nearly two months since I received my notice of recall for the flotation issues on my 187 SD...I have been calling every number I can find and on the rare occasion that someone associated with Hurricane actually answers, I repeatedly get the run around...I called and left messages again this week and now 4 days later there has been no reply...Hurricane-Godfrey sold us as it would appear an UNSAFE VESSEL...They should be bending over backward to make this right instead of making us track them down for the fix!
  • steddyfretter
    The bottom line here is that if the boats in question were built with insufficient floatation foam from the get go then the certification sticker that Hurricane placed on every single boat is meaningless plain and simple. Insufficient now should have been the same then as well. Boats don't sink faster in 2018 and therefore need more foam installed then on previous years. To me, this sounds like a serious safety problem here involving a lot of boats dating back quite a few years. The authorized Hurricane dealers who sold them originally have to fix the issue asap at zero cost and aggravation to the owners and if they won't or can't like some posters here have indicated then the manufacturer (Godfrey) must be held completely responsible for letting this serious quality control situation happen in the first place. Perhaps a class action consumer lawsuit involving all owners of the SD 187 model inboard and outboard is in order to force the company to buy them all back at full price. 
  • sullmate
    I finally got a response from my hurricane dealer. He said they are awaiting a fix for the flotation problem from Hurricane. Wow, I can hardly wait for the the actions needed to correct. No warranty work will be done during the season, too busy.
  • steddyfretter
    edited September 2018
    Completely agree with you sullmate. You gotta wonder just how they intend to install this so called foam 'kit' involving 4 cubic feet to the starboard and another 2.5 cubic feet to the port stern area since it's dealer mechanics doing the work and not the factory itself. If they intend to shoot spray foam inside the hull after drilling access holes in it then it's possible that this could affect water drainage to the bilge area. If it's not spray foam then to install sheets they have to do some serious dissembling of the deck to hull seam to get to the area needed. Either way I am not very happy with the whole thing at all because this never should have happened in the first place. Somebody really dropped the ball here. It would be nice to hear some kind of official informational response to SD 187 owners from Hurricane on this forum about what is actually involved with the fix and do they intend to train the dealer mechanics as to the proper repair procedures involved so it is done correctly.
  • sullmate
    Steddyfretter, As you stated there should be a class action lawsuit since there will be boating downtime as well as the real possibility of an improper or damaging repair. We have been told NOT to sell our Hurricanes until the repairs are made. I wish I were a lawyer. If Godfrey Marine thinks this issue is going to go away quietly. They are wrong!! Monetary compensation is Due.
  • vetteldy76
    vetteldy76 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    I believe the only way to get ourselves taken care of is a Class Action suit. Our local dealer will not be doing any recall repairs. So they have simply washed their hands of this. I have had several calls with Doug who is coordinating the repairs from Texas but I continue to get excuses. Nothing is going to happen for weeks or months. We want our money back. We don't want this boat now. Even if they say they fixed it I don't trust it any longer. How can we all get together and get a suit going?
  • fundeck19
    I'm onboard with this...I love my 187 SD, but I'm not sure if I can trust the repair offered and what of the resale value now that this problem has been exposed?
  • steddyfretter
    edited September 2018
    So what happens if the boat gets swamped or the hull gets compromised from hitting an obstruction at speed? It goes turtle because of the foam inbalance and turns into a submarine? Scary thought. On the official Hurricane website concerning construction of ALL of their boats it clearly states that every available cavity is filled with closed cell urethane foam floatation for added safety and convenience. According to them, this is a good reason why you should choose Hurricane over other boat manufacturers. Sounds wonderful, I took them at their word, and was one of the deciding factors in buying my boat in the first place. Now they are officially admitting in this letter from Godfrey that their past quality control was obviously flawed and telling me not to sell it. So here we have a boat that fails Coast Guard certification but the manufacturer put a sticker in the cockpit stating otherwise. Wow, if that isn't the cat's meow. Consumer lawyers should have a field day with this one. I really wasn't planning on selling it because I actually like the boat but now even if I wanted to, who is going to buy it? So much for resale value.  I wonder how this recall came about. Did one actually sink?
    Post edited by steddyfretter on