Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Smart Tabs Installed

Options
fldanny
fldanny Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
edited June 2013 in General Discussions
2012 Hurricane SS188 F115 with planing issues. Will be taking out boat this weekend and report back with good news hopefully
imageimage

Comments

• fldanny
    Options
  • nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@fldanny....that one good looking boat.

:D
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Installation looks good.  Boat looks good.  I think you will notice a significant improvement in how the boat handles.
    2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner
  • ssrider
    ssrider Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    Options
    @fldanny Any reason why you went with the Smart Tabs and not a hydrofoil?  I want to do one of the two on my boat also
    2004 SD 217 i/o
  • delhaven
    delhaven Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
    Options
    Why did you install trim tabs? Do you mind telling us the total installed cost?
  • GEWarEagle
    GEWarEagle Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    Options
    I installed Smart Tabs on my previous boat a NauticStar 1900 Offshore CC. I had the Yami 150 on it which caused proposing. The Smart Tabs resolved my problem. Only issue I had was the pistons would only last about 2 years and for some reason they alternated years. The company was good at replacing them at no cost but the boat would start to list  to one side because of the failure. So I would need to fix it right away. IMO they are better than hydrofoils because it allowed me to trim my engine without effecting performance. Engine trim effects hydrofoil performance.

After having them for 6 seasons, I regret not having installed the 4 x 12 Lenco's. Not because the Smart Tabs didn't work, they did. But with a 19' boat, trim tabs would have allowed me to controlled listing of the boat due to weight distribution. For some unknown reason, everyone wanted to sit on the same side of the boat.
    2013 Sundeck 2400 OB, Yamaha 250
    Spanish Fort, Alabama
  • nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Haven't used Smart Tabs but can tell you from experience that the hydrofoil in my experience isn't the way to go.

While it will help with planing and porpoising, I found that it would steer to the right hard (in the direction of your prop rotation).

Smart Tabs are definitely the way to go as you address the same issues as mentioned and do it balanced across the hull.  And as @GEWarEagle said, trimming the engine won't affect it the way a hydrofoil would be affected.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • fldanny
    Options
    Just got off the lake here is my review. I literally have a whole new boat. I plane at 13-14mph with 6 adults all sitting in back of boat with 2 full coolers and a full tank of gas and bimini top up. no bow raise at all. im at 37 mpg and 5300 rpms. I regret after looking at reviews last year being skeptical and not installing them sooner.
  • fldanny
    Options
    109 for tabs and 80 to install from my boat dealer
  • yzfmik
    yzfmik Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I have the same boat/motor, do the tabs (right side) get in the way of the ladder when it's being used?  Also, what size are those that you used?
    2012 188 Sundeck Sport OB w/ Yamaha 115
  • fldanny
    edited June 2013
    Options
  • yzfmik
    yzfmik Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    Options
    Ahhhh, I see. Very nice, thanks!
    2012 188 Sundeck Sport OB w/ Yamaha 115
  • Capt_Steve
    Capt_Steve Member Posts: 416 admin
    Options
    @fldanny ... great stuff...thanks for sharing. I think everyone would agree that $200 for a "whole new boat" is not a bad deal. 
  • redngreedy
    redngreedy Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    Options
    Did you have any low speed wander before installing these?