Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Smart Tabs Installed

Options

Comments

• fldanny
    fldanny Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    Options
    no not really. I was really trying to resolve planeing issue
  • s1435
    s1435 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Got same boat, installed same tabs - what a difference!! As if all of a sudden i got twice of power. Never loose the horizon out of sight now, bow sit low all time

• bigbuka
    bigbuka Member Posts: 4
    Options
    I have a sd2000 2012. Love the boat but she is a hog to get out of the hole and I am. Having a porpoising issue also. I had smart tabs on my last boat and want to install them on this one too but am struggling with the placement. The sd 2000 has huge stern bump outs on either side. Has anyone intalled them on a sd200 if so can you recommend sizes and post some pictures of placement on the hull? Thanks
  • donmat
    donmat Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    Options

I have a pair of smart tabs for my 188 that I haven't installed yet. When I place the hinge against  the transom at the outer edge there is a slight curvature in the hull. I was wondering if you noticed that and if it affected the operation of the hinge and tabs. I have the ss tabs. Further inboard the transom is flat and I'm debating putting them there. Have any others noticed this?

Don

• fldanny
    Options
    If you email smartabs with a picture of your boat they will tell you exact place to put them.
  • donmat
    donmat Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    Options
    I have used them before on another boat and want to move them as far outboard as possible but I am concerned with the slight curvature of the transom interfering with their operation as it is a hinge. . I was just wondering if others have noticed this curvature and did it affect the tab operation.
  • anchor1
    anchor1 Member Posts: 12
    Options
    I am about to install smart tabs on my 2002 201 gs fundeck I/O. The hole size that you drill is different if the transom is made of wood or fiberglass. I am assuming that the boat has a fiberglass transom and does not have a wood core but you know what they say about fools and assumptions. Can anyone confirm this is true before I drill my first hole?
  • Capt_Steve
    Capt_Steve Member Posts: 416 admin
    Options
    @anchor1 ... that boat has an all-fiberglass transom....just confirmed with Hurricane.
  • MNDaveC
    MNDaveC Member Posts: 24
    Options
    fldanny said:

Just got off the lake here is my review. I literally have a whole new boat. I plane at 13-14mph with 6 adults all sitting in back of boat with 2 full coolers and a full tank of gas and bimini top up. no bow raise at all. im at 37 mpg and 5300 rpms. I regret after looking at reviews last year being skeptical and not installing them sooner.

Does you boarding ladder hit the tabs at all?

If a swimmer were to use the boarding ladder, would it be easy for them to accidentally step on the tab and damage it?
  • fldanny
    Options
    no not at all you cant tell by pic but the ladder actually protects it from stepping on tab.
  • fldanny
    edited July 2013
    Options
  • pascal1972
    pascal1972 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    Options
    WOW, just got back from a great day on the lake and had a chance to try out the Smart Tabs. All I can say is they do EXACTLY what they claim! On plane much quicker, can maintain plane at 9-11 mph, and almost no bow rise. Installed myself in about 40 minutes, $155 from amazon.
    2001 FD 228 RE 115 Evinrude FICHT
    2007 SD 237 5.7L Mercruiser MPI Bravo 3
  • fldanny
    Options
    I just had a few things done on my boat. mechanic was one of the naysayers. I talked it through to him and while we were talking a customer came in with same exact tabs and praised them as well. like I said in my post it has made a world of difference!
  • nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@fldanny, perhaps you should take him for a ride in your boat with the tabs up and down and show him the difference. 

I don't even need them and I'm planning to install them just so I can cruise in the mornings with my wife, coffee and the sound of the loons and not the extra buzz of the engine at a higher speed/RPMs.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • Jhighers
    Jhighers Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    Options
    Does anyone know if Smart Tabs can be installed on the Sundeck models with the back of the boat having the extensions on the transom? Thanks.