Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Smart Tabs Installed

Options

Comments

• bigbuka1
    bigbuka1 Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
    Options
    I am working though that same exact issue.  Greg from smart tabs told me to get the pistons as close to the bump outs as possible and assures me that it will work.  I am installing them on Friday.  The issue I am working though now is the bunks extending past the transom.  Not sure if I should cut them off or put the protroller adapter on them to make them retractable.
    2012 Hurricane SD2000
  • anchor1
    anchor1 Member Posts: 12
    Options
    I just installed smart tabs on my 2002 gs201 I/O. They are great! I can not believe the difference they made in the boat's ability to get up on plane quickly. As prior owners have said, it is like having an entirely new boat.
  • Jhighers
    Jhighers Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    Options
    @bigbuka.. Let me know how the tabs work on your SD 2000. I am thinking of installing on mine down the road. FYI, my trailer bunks do not stick out, but I am concerned about how far inboard the tabs will have to be installed due to the transom extensions.
  • avalanche
    avalanche Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    Options
    I have a new 2013 188 Merc I/O with a 3 blade 23" pitch prop and I was commenting on my planing issue on another thread . I am trying a High Five 5 19" pitch prop before I resort to SX Smart Tabs. We have extended swim platform. Does anyone have photos of installation on similar 188 with extended swim platform? I have only seen positive posts on Smart Tabs. I am thinking of having them installed before getting boat from Merc dealer. I have not had Hurricane dealer involved. Thanks
  • redngreedy
    redngreedy Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    Options
    I just got my tabs in.  Would JB Weld WaterWeld work for the sealant?  (see link below)

If not I can order some online.

http://www.jbweld.com/product/j-b-waterweld/
  • Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm not familiar with that product, but probably would work.  Most of JBs stuff is good.  I think most guys use 3M 5200 for the sealant................I know that stuff works, cause that is what I used with mine.  Just be sure you don't use alcohol for the clean up, with 5200 since it prevents it from setting.
    2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner
  • nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'll agree with Ernest T.  I've seen folks use both and believe they'll both accomplish the job however in my experience in both practice and on several forums I've been on, I'd say for every person who used the jbweld, 10 more used the 5200.  I also use 5200 for these purposes.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • redngreedy
    Options
    Just run across some 5200 from a guy a work.  Installing these this evening.  

One question.  When drilling the holes, do you drill them the full depth of the screws?  That part is not directly covered in the included instructions. 
  • nquirk
    Options

I took a quick look at the instructions.  In fiberglass, I'd use the size drill bit specified but I would suspect that you could come a little shorter than the length of the screw but the hold is on the fact that the pilot you drill is about 1/32 smaller than the actual screw.

Other suggestion if you've never drilled fiberglass on a boat before (perhaps the instructions cover it) but I cover the area I drill with masking tape as this will minimize the chipping of the outer gel coat when you first start drilling.  Once the holes are in, remove the tape and complete the installation.

2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
  • redngreedy
    Options
    Awesome.  Thanks for the info!
  • Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    Options
    If its like my transom, you will probably pop through the fiberglass before you get to the depth of the screw.  Seems like the screws were like maybe 5/8" long and the fiberglass was only about 3/8" thick..........I know its a little scary, but they hold fine.  Not heard of anyone having any problems with them coming out.

I do recommend that you put a dab of 5200 on the screw threads or into the hole to provide a little extra seal.  They provide a foam strip that goes under the hinge, but I don't trust that for the long term for stopping any potential leaks.
    2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner
  • redngreedy
    Options
    I delayed the install due to the 5200 calling for a full 24 hours of cure time.  I had plans to hit the lake Saturday morning .  I'll be installing these Tuesday evening. 

I did not get the foam strip in my kit, nor did I get the DVD that it claims to come with.  Should I contact them?  Not concerned about the DVD. 
  • nquirk
    Options

@redngreedy, I'd make a quick phone call to Nauticus and find out.  The foam tape is a sealant tape however if you apply the 5200 as Ernest T indicated, you may not need to apply the tape but I'd confirm with them if you can skip this step.

2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
  • redngreedy
    Options
    Already got the reply.

"The foam tape is only included in the stainless steel trim tabs and not the SX. The 5200 is fine and you don’t need the foam tape with it."
  • nquirk
    Options
    @redngreedy, thanks for the follow up.  I'll be using the SX tabs next season so this is good to know.
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB