Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Smart Tabs Installed

Options

Comments

• bigbuka1
    bigbuka1 Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
    Options
    installed the stainless on my hurricane SD2000.  Had a chance to try it out this weekend.  I noticed a huge difference in the hole shot...but my top end speed was a little down.  I had more people than usual but will try it with just me and see if there is a difference.  The boat has very little bow rise and does not porpoise at all.  
    2012 Hurricane SD2000
  • avalanche
    avalanche Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    Options
    What adjustment hole did you use? 5 for most stern lift and quickest to plane? I put on the sx. 80 smart tabs and used hole 3 middle . I could still improve time to plane, I might move to hole 5 Thanks
  • Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    Options
    bigbuka1 said:
    installed the stainless on my hurricane SD2000.  Had a chance to try it out this weekend.  I noticed a huge difference in the hole shot...but my top end speed was a little down.  I had more people than usual but will try it with just me and see if there is a difference.  The boat has very little bow rise and does not porpoise at all.  
    I had the same thing happen after my install...........top speed dropped a little.  It took me several adjustments to get the tabs set correctly.  The instructions will tell you which way to move them.
    2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner
  • fldanny
    fldanny Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    Options
    I couldn't give you exact gauge on whether I lost any top speed. I had way to many variables. I can tell you I ran boat by myself last weekend, Speedo said around 41-42. Bimini wasn't up, no passengers, quarter tank of gas, I emptied freshwater tank because we dont ever use it (mostly because the pressure stinks on it) and lake was glass.

Even if I did lose a couple mph I would be super ok with that. The lakes and rivers we frequent have lots of no wake and manatee zones so staying on plane and no bow rise would be a great trade out. Happy saturday every one!
  • brobin
    brobin Member Posts: 11
    Options
    I just installed the SX9510-60 tabs with the PR500 retractable mounts on my SD2000  and it makes a world of difference!  I set them on '3' and the boat planes almost instantly - what a difference!  Installation was straightforward with the only obstacle being that the transponder needed to be moved to the left a few inches. I used 3M 5200 sealant in the screw holes as recommended. Took about an hour for the whole job. The retractable mounts allow for forklifting as shown.
    Here are some photos:

• Pitner33
    Pitner33 Member Posts: 1
    Options

Great info sharing gang!

Does anyone have any experience with using the tabs  with a swim platform?

I have a 2010 188 io with a swim platform. I had a Monster wakeboard tower installed to ski and wakeboard, but the hole shot is so bad, we don't even try anymore.. I have literally  tried 8 different props at this point...

• NEboater28
    NEboater28 Member Posts: 14
    Options
    I have a swim platform on my 187 io. The installation was pretty smooth. I didn't hit either off the swim platform support poles. Let me know if you'd like me to take a photo this weekend. I installed 60lb stainless tabs two weeks ago. I also installed it with the PR bracket which allows me to flip them up to disengage. So far I'm still in the trouble shooting mode. I put the bracket on the center hole (of the 5 holes on the bracket). The hole shot was marginally better, but I lost about 3mph off of my top speed. I was able to plane out at about 3 mph less than usual. I haven't pulled a wakeboarder this season, but I expect that will be a good thing for them. My other issue was the wake that the boat put out. When the tabs were engaged at about 30mph, pulling a skier, there was a significant center wake shooting up and out which made it almost impossible for the skier to remain directly behind the boat. I called nauticus they suggested I reduce the pressure and move it to the lightest setting.... hole #1. I have to pull my boat to do the trim tab adjustments this weekend, down the 1 slot. I hope this works, otherwise, I'm not sure that i'll reap the supposed benefits of the tabs, especially if it impedes the skier. Pitner33, I feel your pain with props. I'm on my 4th prop now, and just picked up a merc hi-5 prop (used) and it's at prop repair getting refurbished. I'm hoping that the combo of the tabs tweaked correctly and the high five prop will result in the hole shot I'm looking for. Another user (Avalanche) commented that they have 80lb tabs and a high five prop in the same set up as ours 188 I/O alpha 220 hp, and is doing well. So short answer is, yes, you can install them with the swim platform. I'll update when I tweak the tabs. Has anyone else had wake issues in the center on an I/O setup with the trim tabs as described above?
  • avalanche
    Options
    This is Avalanche. I put the high five 19" prop and sx 80 on my 188 I/O last year and still doing well. I have swim platform and there is no interference. Slight interference with tie down straps. Planing still not as low as speed as we would like especially when fuel full and passengers in stern. Bottom line much improved and top speed about 45 mph but must be careful about overspeeding 4800 rpm. Pls let me know if any questions
  • nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @NEboater28, I run a High5 Merc prop on mine.  Its fantastic for hole shot on my 188 paired with a Mercury 200HP OB.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • NEboater28
    Options
    I adjusted the tabs this weekend to the highest, least pressure settings per the instructions of nauticus. I didn't notice much difference. The holes shot was still only slightly better, my top end was about the same. I pulled a couple wakeboards and I was still struggling to maintain a constant plane around 17 mph. I guess after reading all the good reviews, I was hoping for more. Should I have used a larger actuator. I have a 60 lb on there now? Any suggestions?
  • avalanche
    Options
    I have SX80 actuators and 19" pitch High Five and plane about 17 mph. I have tabs set at 3 middle. This is a vast improvement from where I started!
  • NEboater28
    Options
    Ok, I've got a high five on order. Once I change that out, I'll see where I end up. If i'm still not seeing those results, I'll hit up Nauticus for a larger actuator.
  • avalanche
    Options
    What pitch is your high 5 ? I went from 23" 3 blade aluminum prop to 19" pitch 5 blade stainless steel. That improved hole shot and dropped top speed from 58 mph to about 48. Then i added sx80 smart tabs . That got me to 45 mph top speed and about 17-18 mph speed to plane. We also experimented with other pitch props. I think the 17" pitch prop would lower plane speed but I would be over revving engine at WOT. Still not perfect but much better handling and hole shot boat.
  • nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @avalanche, not sure who you've asked the question to but mine is a 19" pitch.... which is right at the top end of the RPMs for 200HP Merc.   

@NEBoater28, not sure what you've ordered..
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • NEboater28
    Options

@avalanche.  The high5 is a 19 pitch.  However, my boat came with a 19 inch 3 blade aluminum.  I've never gone above 19 pitch.  I tried a 4 blade 18" pitch stainless, but it was a slug.  I currently have a 18 pitch 4 blade aluminum.  I'm going to the 19" high-5 based on the prop store. 

I've always overreved (Rev limited kicks in around 4800 rpm) since day 1.  So maybe I was under pitched to start with.  I got almost 50 mph out of the stock 3 blade 19 pitch, so I was happy with the top end, but now I'm looking for a better hole shot.

I'm hoping with the high 5 at a 19 pitch, it will be a happy medium that will solve everything <fingers crossed>